Control arm upgrades

Lance628

Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my control arms but don't want to go with a long arm set, any recommendations on brands??

Lance628

I was thinking all 8 it's already lifted I have the rustys ones now they kinda suck and the bushing are failing already

utiadam

LOSER
Not sure if this is accurate or not but I heard a rumor that Evo is going to be releasing a complete short arm kit..... Can anyone chime in on this? I think that would be awesome due to them being adjustable on the vehicle

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You don't need all 8 control arms. Only time you do is when your doing a long arm kit. Just get a set of front lowers and rear uppers if you have a 2 door. Run factory arms in the other spots.

ClarksAdventures

There's lots of great brands out there. Personally I have all 8 and liked being able to adjust whatever I needed. People say you don't need the lower rears, but I've seen the stock ones bend while out on the trail. I personally have had a great experience with MetalCloak. But you could go wrong either with the evo's, or RK.

utiadam

LOSER
I would say initially you can get by without replacing all 8 but when the stock bushings wear out I wouldn't put another stock one back in. I like johnny joints.
This was my right side upper control arm bushing that's mounted on the front axle. Completely blown out after maybe 8k miles of light wheeling but lots of flex on the bolt on coilovers.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440109017.268612.jpg
After
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440109150.330442.jpg
I would eventually like to do the evo long arm but might change my mind if they release the short arms.

Lance628

That's where I'm at they are starting to go and I always upgrade when something goes, but up here in Maine there just isn't really a need for long arm

jeeeep

Hooked
I went with Clayton Offroad and after 110k miles I haven't had any issues other than replacing a couple of bushings.

The only reason I ended up replacing those bushings was because I had put the hiem joint with the grease nipple pointing up to protect them, it was a real PIA to grease them so I didn't. they did go about 80k miles of trails/road before I felt something might be askew and after pulling the arms those joints weren't in as good of shape as the others. I could have just cleaned and reused them but I had new ones so they got replaced. all the others I gave them a good cleaning and new grease. that was 40k miles ago and I haven't touched them since.

Guess I better pull the arms again and take the joints apart for a good cleaning. :doh:

Mike Chapman

My 2 cents...

Just throwing in my .02 cents...

I stayed with a short arm... My DD mileage is about 2 miles and I only get to Off-road once a month of so... (Yeah, sucks for me!). But I went with Metalcloak CA's and it was a 100% Improvement over my stock arms...

I was impressed enough that I'm saving $$$ for their Coils and Six-Pack Shocks...

Just my :twocents:.. But whichever way you decide, save your $$$ and get what you want, don't settle or you'll be disappointed..

Lance628

I'm def leaning torward the metalcloak, right now but if Evo comes out with a short arm kit anytime soon I'll be buying those I like the full adjustability while installed

I would say initially you can get by without replacing all 8 but when the stock bushings wear out I wouldn't put another stock one back in. I like johnny joints.
This was my right side upper control arm bushing that's mounted on the front axle. Completely blown out after maybe 8k miles of light wheeling but lots of flex on the bolt on coilovers.
View attachment 160938
After
View attachment 160939
I would eventually like to do the evo long arm but might change my mind if they release the short arms.

How do you change these?

Top Bottom