Installation of Daystar switch panel

Holeshot

Banned
My friend asked me to install all his electrical stuff in his jk a couple months ago, all been done in spare time so it took long before it was all done, but it was worth it, I'm pretty happy with the result.

I installed ;

- Benchmark dual battery tray with battery isolator and 2 optima yellow top
- ARB compressor with OBA output
- sPOD
- Benchmark rear HD bumper and tire carrier that holds a rear winch, and has aux. back-ups
- ORO 3rd brake light/license plate light relocation kit
- Vector offroad tramp stamp
- Vector offroad UFO's
- Smittybilt XRC10s Rear winch, wired the control box to the front AND inside (both front and rear control box mounted on front winch)
- Daystar switch panel
- CB radio/antenna

The main stuff I'm gonna show here is the install of a daystar switch panel that goes in the center dash portion. The project was a little complicated because, my friend wanted to wire both front and rear winches solenoid to 2 seperate momentary switches on the daystar panel AND he also wanted an ON/OFF switch to enable/disable winch operation on his 6th switch on the sPOD. We've been looking for diagram for similar setup, but found nothing, so I decided to build mine from scratch.

So I had to wire, from left to right ;

- Front winch
- Back-up lights
- Battery isolator
- CB radio power
- Rear winch

If there is some interest for the winch switches diagram, I could work on this to put it on the computer.

At first, I wanted to do a clean and professional job, without the cost it would involve. I needed to add 3 more relays and a fuse, so I took some time to think about what I could do. I came up with the idea to take a sealed kitchen plastic container that has a lid that locks on it. Then I painted it in black to make a more OE look, and fitted 3 relays and 3 fuse holders.

2012-10-18 20.02.24.jpg 2012-10-18 20.02.40.jpg 2012-10-18 20.02.59.jpg 2012-10-19 12.04.03.jpg

I finally had to use only one fuse since the two winches relays were driven by a low voltage circuit, and were driving the grounds of both remote swithes. The CB radio has already a fuse to its wiring, so no need to add one more, so it has been wired directly through the switch.

Well, needless to explain how's everything is wired, here's more pics. I had to trim some plastic in the inner dash to make room for the HUGE harness I made. pics talks by themselves.

2012-11-29 18.01.48.jpg 2012-11-29 18.13.16.jpg

It took me over 40 hours for doing everything, including drawing an entire wiring diagram. We needed about 70 feets of Ga.4 battery wire to route the rear winch control box to the front, plus at least 40 to 50 feets for the rests.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Top Bottom