Tramp Stamp 3rd Brake Light

Devallee

So I had the day off today and decided to take my boredom out on the Jeep. I have been looking for a solution for a 3rd brake light recently and haven't really found anything I like that I can buy because 1) I'm cheap and 2) I'm slightly OCD so having a 3rd brake light that doesn't match the other 2 brake lights would drive me crazy. So I decided to make my own with the OEM light and thought I would share with you guys what I did. Here in California 3rd brake lights are required by law but I don't run a spare (hence the tramp stamp) and having an empty tire carrier hanging on the back just for the sake of the brake light sparks my OCD as well. So here's my little project for anyone intersted:

First I took the brake light off of the tire carrier and removed the wiring of course. Then I cut the bottom curve off so it would sit flush between the body and the tramp stamp. To be exact I cut off 2 7/8" from the bottom.

20150821_125705.jpg
20150821_122002.jpg

Then I took it to my bench grinder and ground off the support ridges on the back (again so it can sit flush between the body and stamp). I only ground off what I needed to get it to sit nicely on the tailgate, 2 7/8" to be exact. If you go any higher you'll have a flimsy piece of plastic holding the light and it'll have zero support.

20150821_122011.jpg

From here, I cut the backing of the light off of the tire carrier so it would look clean and wouldn't leave the taillight connection exposed. This was cut up to where the ridges were ground off (put the light back into the backing, and measure up 2 7/8" from the bottom where the plastic was cut and cut it there, that way the backing is cut off where the ridges stop in order for it to still sit flush behind the stamp)
20150821_125320.jpg

From there, I just screwed the backing back on, and wedged the light between the tailgate and the stamp and wired it up. I pulled the wire through the vent instead of the original spot because I didn't want any wires showing. I also put some double sided tape between the stamp and the light before tightening everything up to ensure it wouldn't move anywhere. Anddd that's what the finished product looks like.

20150821_125711.jpg
20150821_135337.jpg
20150821_135344.jpg
20150821_150957.jpg
I'm sorry if this is difficult to follow, this is my first write-up :blush: but if you're interested in trying it out and have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out. It was free and took about an hour total. Thanks for looking! :thumb:

Devallee

Also I wasn't sure if I should put this here or if it qualified for the Write-Up section but I figured an Admin could move it if need be

BitBucket

Looks great, why don't you run with a spare tire? I don't have a carrier for my 37s yet and get a little nervous :shock: without a spare.

Devallee

Looks great, why don't you run with a spare tire? I don't have a carrier for my 37s yet and get a little nervous :shock: without a spare.

I've never really needed one. If I'm out on a trail where one is necessary I throw it in the back by for everyday use it's just extra weight

Top Bottom