Pinion Angle

TC2019

I have a 3.5" lift on my 2014 JKU but I have factory arms. People always tell me I need to buy adjustable arms to correct caster/pinion angle, I just don't want to. I'm waiting until I save the money for long arms.

So question is will it cause a issue or failure to axle?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a 3.5" lift on my 2014 JKU but I have factory arms. People always tell me I need to buy adjustable arms to correct caster/pinion angle, I just don't want to. I'm waiting until I save the money for long arms.

You will want front lower arms to adjust your caster up front but in the rear you don't need the rear uppers right away. If you get and aftermarket rear shaft then yes you will need rear uppers

Rccrwlr

What is your pinon angle with the factory LCA? How does it drive?

Castor and pinion are different. Pinion doesn't effect how it drives, only caster does

One effects the other. You can't change one without changing the other. So technically if you have 4* up pinion it will have a effect on how it drives.

Question for the OP - Are you still running stock drive shaft? Do you have driveline vibrations?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
One effects the other. You can't change one without changing the other. So technically if you have 4* up pinion it will have a effect on how it drives.

Question for the OP - Are you still running stock drive shaft? Do you have driveline vibrations?

Yes technically you are right and that pinion angle is effected in both but the verbiage is different when referring the front and rear. As you know Pinion angle is used to when referring to the rear shaft. Caster is used when mentioning the front.

Rccrwlr

Yes technically you are right and that pinion angle is effected in both but the verbiage is different when referring the front and rear. As you know Pinion angle is used to when referring to the rear shaft. Caster is used when mentioning the front.

You are correct sir. I was really referring to caster and when talking tech you should be specific and use the correct verbiage.
It's all related to how well it drives with the factory arms. If the OP knows the problems and can deal with the drive until he gets the LA system then it's all a mute point right?

TC2019

Still on stock drive shafts and I don't have and vibration. Jeep run great it's only got 11k miles on it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Don't know what "people" you are referring to but, you only need adjustable rear upper arms IF you install a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft. This is so that you can set your pinion angle. Adjustable front arms aren't necessary but, they will help you to set your caster after installing a lift.

Trail JK

You will want front lower arms to adjust your caster up front but in the rear you don't need the rear uppers right away. If you get and aftermarket rear shaft then yes you will need rear uppers

This is good info. It never crossed my mind that I would need rear control arms once the new rear driveshaft went in.

Don't buy them. You can run 8" of lift on factory arms. I read it on the Internet. Fuck the world!

Lol

Top Bottom