2dr storage options

ClarksAdventures

So here's the deal. I rarely if ever have my back seat in, and would like a great way to separate and secure things in the back. All the systems I seem to find require the rear seat to be in place. Any thoughts,

I would love to have a deck that runs the whole length of the back if possible.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That would be quick and easy. But we get a lot of rain in the PNW, and I don't want the hassle of
Wood+water

That looks like it goes all the way to your driver seat right? Do they have two different version for the tuffy 2dr? I've only seen the super short one

It doesn't go all the way. There is still room for stuff behind the seats. The front of the deck ends at the footmens loop farthest forward for the rear seat. (If that makes sense)

It is the same for the 4 door. They make the two door deck but the four door fits fine also.

ClarksAdventures

It doesn't go all the way. There is still room for stuff behind the seats. The front of the deck ends at the footmens loop farthest forward for the rear seat. (If that makes sense)

It is the same for the 4 door. They make the two door deck but the four door fits fine also.

Oh ok, cool. So worst case, if I wanted it secure I could build a vertical wall in the front huh?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is what the deck looks like in a four door. That wall will still be there.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440295351.442965.jpg

And here it is put together but not installed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440295372.926597.jpg

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440339670.964751.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440339700.847278.jpg

Tuffy also make this version which is cheaper than the one Overlander posted. This one has a fixed lid and I believe is lighter gauge metal than the more expensive one. The lid comes completely off though without having to use tools. So if you need to take it off it's fairly easy. It will also work in a two door without the back seat just like the other one.

I would say though, I wouldn't stack too much weight on top of it. I do believe the lid would bend.

ClarksAdventures

View attachment 161362

View attachment 161363

Tuffy also make this version which is cheaper than the one Overlander posted. This one has a fixed lid and I believe is lighter gauge metal than the more expensive one. The lid comes completely off though without having to use tools. So if you need to take it off it's fairly easy. It will also work in a two door without the back seat just like the other one.

I would say though, I wouldn't stack too much weight on top of it. I do believe the lid would bend.

Sweet! Thanks guys!

TJ4fun

Guys, question, room for gear is at a premium in a two door I wounder if I have the right things that I'm taking with me My insta-trunk is absolutely full. I have water, large tool bag, air compressor, jack, emergency first aid kit flash lights, recovery strap and gloves. I wish i had room for a Dana thirty Axel. If there is much more you recommend i take along, your back area security box may be in order. Please advise.

Wardell

I have the same Tuffy Deck as Overlander (but I have it in my 4 door). It's very secure, sturdy and strong, and you shouldn't have to worry about putting anything on top of it. I've even heard of people strapping an ARB fridge on top of it with other gear and not having any problems. It will look like a lot of parts when you open the box, but installation isn't hard at all. Just bolts right in. It took a friend and I less than an hour, and you could easily do it on your own. Also, you can take the deck and the rear panel out quick and easy without tools if you need to, with just the brackets left attached at the sides. The only real downside is the cost... it wasn't cheap!

The one mudmobeeler has is just as secure, it's just not as strong and I don't think it was intended to have things on top of it. It also doesn't flip up, but to be honest I don't lift mine up very often anyway. If all you need is to keep sticky fingers off the gear in the back of your Jeep, it's looks like a good choice.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I installed a Smittybilt G.E.A.R. storage kit attached to my back seat. Since you do not have that in they make a kit for the tailgate. Does not hold much, but you can add some molle pacs.

sbmp.jpg

sbmp1.jpeg

sbmp2.jpg

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have the same Tuffy Deck as Overlander (but I have it in my 4 door). It's very secure, sturdy and strong, and you shouldn't have to worry about putting anything on top of it. I've even heard of people strapping an ARB fridge on top of it with other gear and not having any problems. It will look like a lot of parts when you open the box, but installation isn't hard at all. Just bolts right in. It took a friend and I less than an hour, and you could easily do it on your own. Also, you can take the deck and the rear panel out quick and easy without tools if you need to, with just the brackets left attached at the sides. The only real downside is the cost... it wasn't cheap!

The one mudmobeeler has is just as secure, it's just not as strong and I don't think it was intended to have things on top of it. It also doesn't flip up, but to be honest I don't lift mine up very often anyway. If all you need is to keep sticky fingers off the gear in the back of your Jeep, it's looks like a good choice.

Yeah I went with the cheaper one because of the cost. I do like it and it serves it's purpose for what it is and the price. I wish it were a little better but I would agree it would probably cost more. Tuffys website shows things like ice chests and stuff on top of it but I would bet they were empty and just for pic purposes.

robertoloco

Does the top slide out?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Does the top slide out?

Not on mine. There are four bolts across the top that have thumb wheels or knobs to turn by hand instead of just nuts. So you can pull these and pull the top out leaving the front secured to the jeep. The sides would come out as part of the top as well. You can see the bolts across the top in the 2nd pic I posted earlier in the thread.

On the other one that Overlander posted, I know the top opens up to haul taller items and somehow it also comes out but I have zero experience with it.

Edited to add: you can only see the two bolts along the top in my pic. The other two are on the sides just out of view but go in the same direction as the other two.

Top Bottom