Is my drag link bent?

I'm not sure if my drag link is bent. It started pulling to the left. I've checked the alignment and it seems fine. Air pressure, ball joints, and rims seem fine too. Here's a side picture of it.

JeepFan

Hooked
Looks like it might be bent a little. Is your steering wheel centered?

A bent drag link probably wouldn't cause a pull though.

JeepFan

Hooked
I wanted to recenter it but wasn't sure if I should since the drag link looks bent.

Copy that. If the steering wheel isn't off by much, you should be fine until you verify whether or not the link is bent.

Did the pulling and off center steering wheel happen after a recent wheeling trip?

Yes. Archery season opened and we were out hunting. Hit a good sized dirt pot hole. Everything seamed fine at the moment.
P.S. GCM2, I did not hit a body in Mexico this time.

JeepFan

Hooked
Yes. Archery season opened and we were out hunting. Hit a good sized dirt pot hole. Everything seamed fine at the moment.
P.S. GCM2, I did not hit a body in Mexico this time.

If the DL is bent, I would replace it.

Something in the suspension could have come loose or bent (besides the DL) as a result of hitting the pot hole. Hard to say for sure. I would start with checking all suspension bolts for proper torque, check the toe-in and center the wheel and go from there.

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

Here is the picture.

I was just under my jeep today doing an oil change and looking at, well, everything. I noticed my drag link has the same exact bend in it that yours does. I've wheeled it a few times already, but nothing really serious. I think it's normal as my wheel hasn't moved off center since putting in my leveling kit. I've wheeled it since installing the LK, so my vote is your DL is not bent.

I was just under my jeep today doing an oil change and looking at, well, everything. I noticed my drag link has the same exact bend in it that yours does. I've wheeled it a few times already, but nothing really serious. I think it's normal as my wheel hasn't moved off center since putting in my leveling kit. I've wheeled it since installing the LK, so my vote is your DL is not bent.

Thanks for looking. So the bend in the drag link is normal. I'll get under there and check all the bolts and torque.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Drag links are soft and can bend a bit when you wheel. It's not the end of the world. I've had to recenter my steering wheel at least 4 times my guess is my drag link bent a bit each time.

MTG and Overlander recently bent theirs pretty good and it's very noticeable. When you can see its bent it's time for a new one. As JeepFan said, recenter hoot steering wheel, check your alignment, check your steering components and torque and go from there.

Top Bottom