Help with 2014 Wrangler Steering

Tylerself17

Hello fellow Wayalifers, recently went on a wheeling trip this weekend and had a blast! Until I finished that is.. as soon as I pulled her out of the trails and disengaged 4WD, I noticed that my steering wheel will stick as I turn it in either direction. It will turn fine, but when it is going back to straighten up it snags and continues turning. Looked underneath and didn't see anything bent to my knowledge, but have not been able to figure out what the problem is.. Assuming the problem was started due to the fact that I'm running 37/13.50/17 Toyo M/T's on a stock Dana 30, just would like to hear feed back on what the problem might be! Thanks

Buster3479

Lots of possible culprits here in no particular order.

Assuming it drove fine prior to wheeling, bent or damaged steering stabilizer, broken ball joint, damaged draglink or tie rod TRE, bent tie rod for starters. I'd disconnect the stabilizer, not the most likely, but quickest and easiest diagnosis to eliminate.

Is your power steering pump making any new shrill noises?

Tylerself17

Well damn! I guess I can try that and then relay back to you guys if it works! What can I use instead of the dual stabilizer? Would it drive play without it?

LasVegasJK

Well damn! I guess I can try that and then relay back to you guys if it works! What can I use instead of the dual stabilizer? Would it drive play without it?

You'll be fine without it. I drove mine for a week without it. I couldn't tell the difference between having a good stabilizer and not having one at all.
Hopefully that's the problem since it's an easy fix.

JeepFan

Hooked
I have a procomp dual stabilizer, so I doubt it's that. And no problems prior to this trip

It doesn't take much to bend a steering stabilizer and even a slight bend can cause the problem you described. As LasVegasJK mentioned, remove yours to see if the problem goes away.

Devallee

If the stabilizer is the problem, I'd recommend replacing it with a factory OEM one instead of wasting money on something aftermarket. As mentioned you don't even really need one of you're setup properly so why not get one that's much less expensive and will do the same job as other aftermarket pieces if not better?

Top Bottom