Im looking to put in a CB Radio on my JKU whats a good recommendation?

NightFox915

Hey fellow members of Wayalife

I been checking out some CB Radios lately mainly to go on the trails nothing fancy i guess, i checked out Northridge4x4 they have this COBRA 29 LX LCD CB RADIO for 149.99 what do you guys recommend ?

Thanks

Johnny

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
Depends on what you're looking for. The Cobra 29 LX is a great radio but it's also a full-size radio and will present a small challenge for placement in the cab. I have the 29 LX LE that I installed in a Tuffy overhead console and it works great. Out of the way, not visible if you're not looking for it, and the console locks so no chance someone is going to take it. If you want something a little easier to install, the Cobra 75 series is a better way to go because all teh controls are built into the mic and the head unit can be installed behind the glove compartment, in the center console, under the seat, etc. Lots of people run the 75 for that very reason. If you're only looking for something to use on the trails it's not a bad way to go. A small Uniden would be similar as well.

snowcrash

I just installed a Cobra 75 series in my JK and had one in my TJ. Love the space saving size of it. Like mentioned above the head unit is tiny and can pretty much fit anywhere and the all the controls are in the handheld part.

Suprchrgd_rubi

Did you just screw it directly to the console? I've got my CB in a modified aftermarket mount and it sits farther away. I may borrow your idea. This looks like it would leave more leg room for the passenger.

I used the mount it came with and just screwed it to the center console, I positioned it marked it and removed cb from bracket installed bracket my pass have no interference

Suprchrgd_rubi

That is exactly what i want to do, did you use the mounting bracket it came with the cb?, Did you wire it directly to your 12v cigarette output?, or did you buy a universal plug and play 12v connector that goes underneath the dash?

View attachment 161498

Yes I used the bracket it came with and wired it directly to the cig power in back of dash, which is fuses along with the cb power wires

Jk909

I have the midland 75-822. I didn't want to run power the the battery and have a big ass box in my jeep when I only use it on the trails. It plugs in to the cigarette lighter so all you need to mount is a firestik antenna on the back and your good to go. It also comes with a battery pack so you can get out and spot people with it. It's a neat little combo. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440452012.294218.jpg

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
Here's my Cobra 29 LX LE in the Tuffy overhead console I mentioned earlier in the thread.

6211370016_5a646ea47b_b.jpg

6211369838_3dae6e6a04_b.jpg

LasVegasJK

I have the midland 75-822. I didn't want to run power the the battery and have a big ass box in my jeep when I only use it on the trails. It plugs in to the cigarette lighter so all you need to mount is a firestik antenna on the back and your good to go. It also comes with a battery pack so you can get out and spot people with it. It's a neat little combo. View attachment 161530

What kind of range do you get?

Dirt Foot

I mounted my uniden on the drivers side. Doesn't hit my leg or interfere with anything. Can hear it just fine there as well. Using a 4' firestick 2 tunable. My SWR's are at 1.1

Attachments

• 1440462072420.jpg
    1440462072420.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 1440462091571.jpg
    1440462091571.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 374
  • 1440462120112.jpg
    1440462120112.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 1440462132265.jpg
    1440462132265.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 368

SaddleTramp

I mounted a Uniden 520xl inside the glovebox. Hidden out of the way and always on and set when on the trail. Put an external speaker in the roll bar padding behind the drivers side B pillar.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440462985.644432.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440463025.669564.jpg

tharb5111

Right channel radios is awesome. Super fast delivery and gear reviews on all there stuff so you can get a feel of what people think of their choices of cbs. Also have a good know-how center I found helpful. I went with the Midland small radio and mounted it on dash. It works great with the 4 or 5 foot
Firestick and it has options for PA and weather channels. And don't forget the swr to tune.

Trail JK

I'm happy with mine... Cobra 75 WX ST/remote mount CB radio, Cooltech CB mount, with an audio interrupt system. Below are a couple of pics.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440465067.204856.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440465087.303449.jpg .

BDSJEEP

I have the midland 75-822. I didn't want to run power the the battery and have a big ass box in my jeep when I only use it on the trails. It plugs in to the cigarette lighter so all you need to mount is a firestik antenna on the back and your good to go. It also comes with a battery pack so you can get out and spot people with it. It's a neat little combo. View attachment 161530

I was going to go with the Cobra 29 LX LE, mainly because I liked the additional NOAA capability, I've been researching mounting methods, but after posting your Midland 75-822, and I noticed it too had weather functions, well, we have a new winner!

I intend to use it only for group outings (as I can see a HUGE increase in fun-factor with a CB) shootin' the shiznit while caravanning to location, as well as listening in to instruction (and banter) while on the trail! :thumb:

So range really shouldn't be an issue, as I cant really see a need of more than a mile. So while the little rubber duck BNC antenna will probably do, I'll carry an optional firestik and tire rack mount as well. Or maybe even a temp magnet mount just to throw on the hood...*shrug* And it can easily be thrown in the center console when not in use, or brought in the house. I like the cigarette lighter power too.

I also like the added feature that if your rig is stuck or you need to get out (over-turned for example) you can bring your CB out with you if need be.

Also, I've had a few pretty well-tuned Midlands in my day. So not going Cobra ( tried and true brand!) should be just fine as well.

So thanks Jk909 for the heads-up! :thumb:

Top Bottom