can JKs go with a 15 inch wheel

MiJKguy

and do you have to do anything different like backspacers or anything?????:thinking::idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can get most 15" steel wheels with work on a JK, some aluminum but most of the later will require you to grind your calipers down a bit to clear them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
but 16s will be fine as is?

Yes, they will but, if your point in getting 15's is that they're cheaper and have a lot of tires available in that size, I might recommend that you not go with a 16" or 18" wheel. 15" and 17" is your best bet.

MiJKguy

Yes, they will but, if your point in getting 15's is that they're cheaper and have a lot of tires available in that size, I might recommend that you not go with a 16" or 18" wheel. 15" and 17" is your best bet.

I do like the look of more tire less wheel, and more options!

MiJKguy

There are a lot of options for 17's as well but, 15's will give you the look that you want.

Awesome! well back to the drawing board, thank you for your help! I will check out the 17s because I dont want to grind anything down

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! well back to the drawing board, thank you for your help! I will check out the 17s because I dont want to grind anything down

Personally, 17's are the better way to go anyway. On the trail, they'll have less sidewall flex and provide more stability on off camber situations.

MiJKguy

Personally, 17's are the better way to go anyway. On the trail, they'll have less sidewall flex and provide more stability on off camber situations.

that is good to know, what do you feel about Procomp xtreme mt?:rock: 315 70 17

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
that is good to know, what do you feel about Procomp xtreme mt?:rock: 315 70 17

it's a nice tire. i've run them in the past and they're essentially cooper sst's. they do wear out on the faster side and do chunk but, that's what makes them do well on the rocks.

MiJKguy

it's a nice tire. i've run them in the past and they're essentially cooper sst's. they do wear out on the faster side and do chunk but, that's what makes them do well on the rocks.

are the cooper sst or stt better ? and do they wear out fast

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
are the cooper sst or stt better ? and do they wear out fast

About the same and I should note that "fast" is relative. If you want a tire that'll wear like iron, you should look at something like a BFG as they easily yield about 60,000+ miles. The down side to them is that they don't have quite the perfomance on the rocks and have thin sidewalls. There are trade offs to everything.

MiJKguy

About the same and I should note that "fast" is relative. If you want a tire that'll wear like iron, you should look at something like a BFG as they easily yield about 60,000+ miles. The down side to them is that they don't have quite the perfomance on the rocks and have thin sidewalls. There are trade offs to everything.

gotcha, I dont want BFG for the fact that so many Jeeps are running them already ! I'm sure they are good but I dont want to be another #

Donny

TOYO Open Country M/T or Nitto Trail Grapplers :rock:

They are just down right good looking.....:yup:

Donny

MiJKguy

TOYO Open Country M/T or Nitto Trail Grapplers :rock:

They are just down right good looking.....:yup:

Donny

I have the terra grapplers and I love them , but its time for some new/ bigger tires. I love both of those but HATE the price!:icon_crazy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I had the STT's on my old lifted ranger and they wore great! Had 50,000 miles on them before I sold the truck and they easily had 10,000 left.

Gibbo

I was thinking 15" or 16" myself, but after reading this I'll stick with the 17". One less thing to think about now.

MiJKguy

Well I guest I will stick with 17's

Some Pro Comps XMTs or Dick Cepek Crushers sound pretty good to me!:rock: Or Duratracs:thinking: I dont know the choices are endless!

gouacats

I've got 15" MB TKOs on mine with 33x12.5 Duratracs. I like the setup. No grinding necessary.

Attachments

• image-1098142240.jpg
    image-1098142240.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Top Bottom