Wheeling an Auto

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I've never wheeled an Auto before. I've never owned a auto wrangler.

How do you cheaters wheel? Is is really that easy?

What do you do with your left foot and right hand ?

JakeJK

I've never wheeled an Auto before. I've never owned a auto wrangler.

How do you cheaters wheel? Is is really that easy?

What do you do with your left foot and right hand ?

Haha right hand, turn up the music, left foot gets a little bored

MTG

Caught the Bug
It will probably take some time for you to get used to not jerking the black shaft around, since you've never known better. ;)

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
It will probably take some time for you to get used to not jerking the black shaft around, since you've never known better. ;)

I'll take it from someone with experience. But I bet you sneak a jerk in every once in awhile

EZ-E

Going from a manual to an auto was weird at first, but I like having the auto now except on the super slow speed stuff.

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
Right hand holds my drink and adjusts the iPod. No shaft jerking here, thanks.

Left foot rests on the bottom door hinge.

jeeeep

Hooked
left foot does nothing, chop it off.
right hand adjusts AC, radio, drinks....still useful so keep it :beer:

ttfhell

I'll take it from someone with experience. But I bet you sneak a jerk in every once in awhile

Straight out of page 6 in the OFF-ROAD Autoerotica manual. Edit: You do use the left foot a lot if you want to go fast around corners in the dirt.

CREEPR

On tricky bumping situations I have left on brake and right on gas for a quick transition. Otherwise it does nothing...

I'm torn on this subject. I've only had manual jeeps because I like manuals and you used to only be able to get a 3-speed auto. No thanks. Now the 5-speed is available and everyone talks about how easy they are off road. I've got a 2012 jkur manual and debating. Most likely I'll keep this one but it's tempting.

I have a manual and love it. It makes it a little hard to rock crawl but that just makes it more interesting. I drive my friends auto around a lot and have wheeled it some but on everything but the rock crawling it's just boring. Manuals all the way!

JeepJeep75

I had to special order my manual. Chrysler thinks that absolutely nobody in Southern California wants to drive one. I don't mind the clutch at all on the 405. Mostly crawl speed anyways...

highoctane

Caught the Bug
My '15 is my first auto Jeep and I love it. I enjoy the laziness and comfort of my slush box and don't miss the 6 speed at all on the trails or around town. It'd be even better if it had the 8 speed. Maybe some day.

DMF

You steer with your right hand and wave with your left. Use your left knee to steer when your right arm gets tired.

Last edited:

Jgarch

I've had both an auto and manual Jeep. I do green and blue trails. I've found it equally as easy to drive either on the trail. It just took a few minutes longer to get my groove in the the manual. I prefer a manual for my dd and have driven them for years. As for my free hand and foot in an automatic, it's easier to hold on. :)

jeeeep

Hooked
I've had manuals for years and as I got older just got tired of the constant shifting in traffic

my 2010 is an auto but as mentioned, the 3 speed (IMO it's a 3 speed with a ridiculous gear jump to OD rendering it useless as a 4th gear) with the 3.8 is not the best combination. It gets the job done on the trail but it does make driving a chore on long freeway trips . I've never been as tired as I have driving this Jeep after long trips, it's a chore! but the fun it provides is worth it.

the 2015 with its 5 speed/ tap shift is much easier to drive, smooth through the gears and when you want to stay in a gear, tap..no clutch, no riding the clutch, it's a nice drive. The added power is noticeable, but the smoothness of the transmission is night and day.

I don't plan to get rid of my 2010, it'll likely get an LS swap along with the tap shift automatic transmission but if a diesel actually comes out in 2016 well then...... :thinking:

Top Bottom