Throw out bearing help

I've read up on the symptoms and my throw out bearing needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a write up on how it is done properly? I've searched here for any replacement help and could not find it.

dagdag

Are you sure it's not your transfer case? Other wise... Remove transfer case, replace TO bearing. I think... Oh, manual or auto? You have to remove clutch or torque converter to access TO bearing I think.

Last edited:

dagdag

Sure it's not the transfer case. Found lots of good info here on how to determine if it was bad. Just can't find any write ups.

I think you have to disassemble like you are replacing the clutch. The TO bearing is behind the clutch I think. You can buy a repair manual from jeep if you want to know how a Chrysler tech would do it.

JeepJeep75

Is your jeep still covered by the factory warranty? The throw out bearing is part of your drive-train. The bearing in question is between the clutch and manual transmission. You must drop the trans or pull the engine. I believe it's a hydraulic cone actuator that surrounds the input shaft of the trans and pushes the throw out bearing into the fingers of the clutch on the back of your motor. If you are going to do this job it'll be worth any price to get the repair manual online or paper version. Read through it first. This is not an easy job. Hope this helps more than confuses. 😬

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Warranty is expired. I never purchased an extended warranty. I have 51k and 2.7 yrs on it. I will purchase the manual and read it first. Thanks

Just drop the transmission and transfer case together. The hardest part is getting at the top bolts of the transmission. What I found easiest was putting together a bunch of extensions and actually going in behind the transmission and transfer case to get at these (about 3 feet) otherwise there is little to no room to work. I didn't do a write up but can make you a spark notes version.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
It's a 20 min video I found. Not mine. Don't know what year your jeep is but should be roughly the same. Pretty much the same for any standard transmission. Some things will be slightly different. But close enough it should be easily figured out.

Top Bottom