Jacking info for noobs

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Ok so I have had my jeep for a year now and I'm getting to the point to where I want to start wrenching in the garage. Lifts and bigger tires etc. So my question is what do you guys use to get your jeeps off the ground high enough to do lifts, tire rotation etc.
So: floor jacks what size rating etc.
Methods for safe jacking
Jack stands
Bottle jacks
Special tools we might need?

I feel like I know the basic safety stuff but I'm looking for more specific experience related advice.

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In the garage, you want to get the biggest floor jack you can get that holds the most weight (3 Tons or so) and can get up to 20" or more. Harbor Freight is where I would recommend you get one. I would also get 6 Ton jack stands as they have big wide footprints and go really tall - this is important when working on a lifted Jeep.

You can safely jack from the bottom of your differential or from the base of your control arm joints on the front axle or at the base of the mounts on the rear axle. Once up, rest your frame rails on jack stands just behind the lower control arm mounts.

With this setup, I can safely work on my big JK running 40's and coil overs.

I personally would never use a Hi-Lift to do work in a garage and rarely use one on the trail. Hi-Lifts can be very useful tools for a difficult recovery but, they are also very dangerous and should only be used if absolutely necessary. Of course, that's just my opinion.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Should you chock the wheels when floor jacking and/or jack standing?

You don't have to but you can. You can never really to too safe when it comes to jacking up your vehicle. I just put it in gear and pull the embrace though.

And am I the only one that thought something else when I read the title?

Tackerdown

Banned
I had to read it twice , fist glance caught me off guard .

And am I the only one that thought something else when I read the title?[/QUOTE]

Tackerdown

Banned
I have the Sears special set three ton jack , and two three ton stands with the roller to lay down on. On the negative the stands were just high enough for the 2.5 BB lift and stock 32" tires. I would def. Go with the 6 ton like WOL said, higher and more steady especially if your doing a full lift . Imo

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
In the garage, you want to get the biggest floor jack you can get that holds the most weight (3 Tons or so) and can get up to 20" or more. Harbor Freight is where I would recommend you get one. I would also get 6 Ton jack stands as they have big wide footprints and go really tall - this is important when working on a lifted Jeep.

You can safely jack from the bottom of your differential or from the base of your control arm joints on the front axle or at the base of the mounts on the rear axle. Once up, rest your frame rails on jack stands just behind the lower control arm mounts.

With this setup, I can safely work on my big JK running 40's and coil overs.

I personally would never use a Hi-Lift to do work in a garage and rarely use one on the trail. Hi-Lifts can be very useful tools for a difficult recovery but, they are also very dangerous and should only be used if absolutely necessary. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the good info! I have been shopping for jacks and jack stands thinking the 2 ton would be good enough from a weight standpoint but they seem so tiny so I thought I must be missing something. I've done a lot of work on F450s on adding wiring and other after market items but we never had to jack them up since you can get on a creeper under them without any problems.

I didn't figure it'd take long for someone to say something about the title :cheesy: Just didn't know how else to say it.. lol

Do you ever put the whole jeep up on 4 jackstands? Like for a full tire rotation of non-directional tires? I would just think its easier to get all four tires off the ground first then tire swap then back down. Is there a trick to it or just jack the front put the jack stands then move to the back and do the same?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Should you chock the wheels when floor jacking and/or jack standing?

If you're planning on just lifting and working one end up at a time, yes, it is a good idea to chock your wheels. If you're planning on placing your whole Jeep on stands, it's really not necessary to do in between steps.

:cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you ever put the whole jeep up on 4 jackstands? Like for a full tire rotation of non-directional tires? I would just think its easier to get all four tires off the ground first then tire swap then back down. Is there a trick to it or just jack the front put the jack stands then move to the back and do the same?

Sure, but in a case like that, I would lift your Jeep high enough to get the tires off the ground and then set the axle housings on jack stands - no need to go higher than you need. Just jack the front, set the axle housing on jack stands positioned near the control arm mounts and then move to the back and do the same.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Sure, but in a case like that, I would lift your Jeep high enough to get the tires off the ground and then set the axle housings on jack stands - no need to go higher than you need. Just jack the front, set the axle housing on jack stands positioned near the control arm mounts and then move to the back and do the same.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will feel more confident now jacking in the garage... :thinking: :cheesy:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I just checked Harbor Freight and they have a 4 ton with 20.5" of lift for $129.00 Can't beat that for sure! Set of two 6T jackstans for 44 bucks! WOW

Everywhere else I checked has super expensive stuff!

Thanks WOL! :thumb: :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked Harbor Freight and they have a 4 ton with 20.5" of lift for $129.00 Can't beat that for sure! Set of two 6T jackstans for 44 bucks! WOW

Everywhere else I checked has super expensive stuff!

Thanks WOL! :thumb: :yup:

Yeah, Harbor Freight doesn't always have the highest quality stuff but, what they have is very affordable and for the most part, all you really need. For things like wrenches, sockets, etc, you're better off spending the money and getting Craftsman or the like.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Yeah, Harbor Freight doesn't always have the highest quality stuff but, what they have is very affordable and for the most part, all you really need. For things like wrenches, sockets, etc, you're better off spending the money and getting Craftsman or the like.

Yeah I have a pretty good tool set that has nearly everything I need at the moment. It's mostly craftsman for the wrenches and sockets and stuff. I don't have any pullers ore things of that nature that I might need to pull apart axles or diffs, but I'm not quite to that point yet.

Before I went on my first Jeep trip this year I ended up buying the craftsman 19.5v impact wrench. It saved us alot of time on the trail since two of us ended up popping our side walls. :blush: I was really glad I had it! It saved alot of time and effort for sure!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Love the 6 Ton stands from harbor freight. It's a really nice well built set. One the lowest setting it's perfect for 37's

Tackerdown

Banned
One thing I didn't think of when I bought my jeep was I may have to buy more tools , man what a bummer.:evil snicker:

Top Bottom