Steering Stabilizer shot???

JRied

Was under my jeep checking ball joints, trac bar mount holes, trac bar bracket U-bolt, checking all little things to see why I get death wobble lately. Removed my steering stabilizer and here lies my question. If I compress it manually should it decompress on its own?

If I fully compress it, it will stay that way until I extend it manually. Same thing if I extend it fully, will stay stuck there until I compress it. Is that normal? Or is it busted? 20k miles on it and it's Rancho

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Depends. Some steering stabilizers have a gas change and would extend after compressed. That said, some are not. My Fox ATS is not charged and stays where I put it.

JRied

Depends. Some steering stabilizers have a gas change and would extend after compressed. That said, some are not. My Fox ATS is not charged and stays where I put it.

Hmmm, ok I will search for info on the Rancho I have and try to find out if it is charged or not. Thank you

JeepJeep75

It shouldn't compress or decompress like standard shock absorbers because it's not. It's just a dampener. 50/50 effort each way. Otherwise it would cause your jeep to pull on way or the other. Hope this helps.

Edit: your steering stabilizer being bad wouldn't be the cause of death wobble. Something is loose in the front end somewhere. Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom