Rigid wiring question?

REKLESS-RED

I have a set of rigid lights that I am installing in the rear as reverse lights directly to the frame. Is there a way that is possible to wire the lights into the reverse lights of the jeep and also have them on an auxiliary switch at the same time?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I have a set of rigid lights that I am installing in the rear as reverse lights directly to the frame. Is there a way that is possible to wire the lights into the reverse lights of the jeep and also have them on an auxiliary switch at the same time?

You would need a DPDT (Dual Pole / Dual Throw) switch. Basically one "power" input to the switch would be live 12V and that would power the lights when the switch is flipped from center (off) to up. Then the other "power" input to the switch would be a tap off the reverse light wire (white with a gray trace I believe). In this case, flipping the switch down would allow the lights to come on only if 12V is available on the reverse light wire.

In both cases, the switch output would power a relay that would close the circuit from live 12V to the lights.

Hopefully that makes sense.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

I did this exact thing with the Rigid SR-M back-up light "kit". That comes with a wiring harness and relay and three position switch to make things easy. One wire will tap into your reverse lights (white with gray stripe) and will trigger the lights to come on when you're in reverse. The other side is just your standard power and ground using the switch to trigger the lights on. You can do this your self as eraugrad04 said; it's not difficult.

It was more difficult for me to run the wiring all the way through the frame rail up into the engine bay. I figured it's worth it though just to protect the wires from contact, heat and water. I can share some pictures if you're interested.

REKLESS-RED

I did this exact thing with the Rigid SR-M back-up light "kit". That comes with a wiring harness and relay and three position switch to make things easy. One wire will tap into your reverse lights (white with gray stripe) and will trigger the lights to come on when you're in reverse. The other side is just your standard power and ground using the switch to trigger the lights on. You can do this your self as eraugrad04 said; it's not difficult.

It was more difficult for me to run the wiring all the way through the frame rail up into the engine bay. I figured it's worth it though just to protect the wires from contact, heat and water. I can share some pictures if you're interested.

Thanks guys. Sounds easier than I anticipated. But pictures would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. I can do most things but wiring is my downfall.

sjd78

I'd be interested in pictures as well please.

JeepJeep75

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440820682.279124.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440820717.520031.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440820760.998683.jpg
The "kit" that is offered for the Rigid Industries cubes has a great diagram that comes with the proper DPDT switch. I tapped into my reverse light wire near the drivers side front seat. Works exactly as you described. I really like it.

JeepJeep75

Yes. I got the original duallys not the D2's. Flush-mount floods. For back-up lights they are super bright. They are on the relay that came with the kit. Either the switch turns on the relay or the factory reverse lights turn it on, or nothing turns it on (center off).

lmaya

I have the D2's as well...thinking of switching them out for Baja design squadrons. May be posting them FS soon if anyone is interested.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Here's a couple I had on my computer. You can see how I ran the wires through the framerail and into the cross member. The EVO cover hides any exposed wiring.

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_7500.jpg

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
That's exactly what I'm looking to do and I have the same lights. I'm going to see if I can get it to work. Thanks all.

Here's where the wire loom comes out of the frame rail just under the engine bay. If you're going to do this, take out the air box to make it easier on yourself. It's only a 5 minute job to take it out.
IMG_9967.jpg

Here you can see the wires coming out of the cross member and running down the frame rail.
IMG_9968.jpg

The wiring part is straight forward.

REKLESS-RED

Here's where the wire loom comes out of the frame rail just under the engine bay. If you're going to do this, take out the air box to make it easier on yourself. It's only a 5 minute job to take it out.
View attachment 162615

Here you can see the wires coming out of the cross member and running down the frame rail.
View attachment 162616

The wiring part is straight forward.

Thanks for the picks. I don't think I will have any issues ruining the wires. My issues will come in hooking up the switch and tapping into the reverse lights.

Top Bottom