2007 Auto won't shift! Need help fast!

TwistedJK

Stuck at the bank drive through. 2007 auto, dash is showing the jeep is in neutral but it's in park and the jeep will not shift into any gear. Pulled the transfer case skid to check the shift linkage cable, and it's still connected. Any quick help would be greatly appreciated.

TwistedJK

Shift linkage on transfer case was broken. Reconnected temporarily with a zip tie. Jeep still won't shift into gear.
image.jpg

TwistedJK

This is the cable iunder the jeep by the transfer case. Is there another spot where there's a shifter linkage only to the tranny?

thardy

Banned
Just a thought, any chance she accidentally pulled the transfer case shifter back instead of the transmission? The tcase could be stuck in neutral.

Edited: unlikely but thought I'd throw it out there.

TwistedJK

Just a thought, any chance she accidentally pulled the transfer case shifter back instead of the transmission? The tcase could be stuck in neutral.

Edited: unlikely but thought I'd throw it out there.

The transfer case was in 2wd when I got here. I've since put it in neutral to get the knob off.

TwistedJK

I've got it guys. I don't know if anyone noticed in the pic, but in a hurry I accidentally zip tied the shifter linkage to the base of the shifter. Making it so I couldn't put it back in 2wd. Sometimes you just have to take a step back, take a deep breath and pull your head out of your ass lol. Got s buddy that works at a local jeep dealership bringing me a couple bushings too. Thanks for the wuick help guys. As always, it's greatly appreciated. Thank you.

TwistedJK

Since I have the best luck, the shifter cable bushing for the tranny was also broken. I couldn't see it as it sits behind the front driveshaft and by the crossmember. Making it really freaking awesome to get to. After a while I was able to zip tie it up so the jeep is now drive able. Going to order everything I need tonight.
Here's a pic of the tranny shift cable that sits in front if the transfer case shift cable under the jeep.
image.jpg
It's also very close the exhaust!

jeeeep

Hooked
those bushings are something I haven't considered in my 120k mileage maintenance, glad you got it figured out and thank you for posting - adding this on my check list to replace them. :thumb:

TwistedJK

Still haven't been able to find a replacement bushing for the transmission linkage. Apparently my local jeep dealership doesn't have it, only the complete linkage assembly. I'm going to either use some heavy duty wire ties or stainless steel zip ties to keep it in place. I figure it'll last longer than the plastic ties on it now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom