front shock leakage

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Noticed this today on front driver side shock
IMG_2327.JPG
My guess is that this shock is pretty much done. My question is this: is it advisable to replace just one shock or should they be replaced in pairs? The shocks have approx. 25000 miles on them I'd say. I don't know how long shocks should last. I have Bilstein 5100 series that came with my EVO Double D lift. I'm heading to Colorado on Friday so I'd like to replace before then but I don't want to rush into buying all new shocks because it my be a good time to try something new. By the way I already cut the boot off in case you were wondering

Last edited:

Rccrwlr

Noticed this today on front driver
My guess is that this shock is pretty much done. My question is this: is it advisable to replace just one shock or should they be replaced in pairs? The shocks have approx. 25000 miles on them I'd say. I don't know how long shocks should last. I have Bilstein 5100 series that came with my EVO Double D lift. I'm heading to Colorado on Friday so I'd like to replace before then but I don't want to rush into buying all new shocks because it my be a good time to try something new. By the way I already cut the boot off in case you were wondering

Just means coilovers all around! You should be able to get just one. You will need part numbers.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Just means coilovers all around! You should be able to get just one. You will need part numbers.

Yea coilovers would be awesome, but I'm saving money for a PR44. I'm looking at the Bilstein catalog, the part numbers are kinda confusing, and different for front and rear shocks. Any idea how long these things are expected to last?

If that side is blown, I'd imagine the other is less than perfect to say the least. I always replace them in pairs or all corners.

Rccrwlr

Yea coilovers would be awesome, but I'm saving money for a PR44. I'm looking at the Bilstein catalog, the part numbers are kinda confusing, and different for front and rear shocks. Any idea how long these things are expected to last?

You would have different pn front and back. Did you order your lift from ORE? They could help if you did.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
You would have different pn front and back. Did you order your lift from ORE? They could help if you did.

I found the part number on the other front shock which was hidden from easy view until I got my lazy butt to crawl under jeep, lol. It was an old part number but I found a site that had new number, so I know which one to order now. I've been pretty happy with the blistein's, i'm just wondering if I should bother trying something new out IF I'm going to change all four......Ranchos for instance....maybe just change the front and start saving for coilovers in addition to PR44 :brows: For the love of god when does the spending end?

Rccrwlr

I found the part number on the other front shock which was hidden from easy view until I got my lazy butt to crawl under jeep, lol. It was an old part number but I found a site that had new number, so I know which one to order now. I've been pretty happy with the blistein's, i'm just wondering if I should bother trying something new out IF I'm going to change all four......Ranchos for instance....maybe just change the front and start saving for coilovers in addition to PR44 :brows: For the love of god when does the spending end?

Wait. You want to know when you done upgrading? The answer is when you're done.

We run the 9000's and really like the adjustability. We paired them with the Rancho 3" coils and have been very happy. We have heard and read that the plush ride's are really nicely matched with the 9000's as well.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Wait. You want to know when you done upgrading? The answer is when you're done.

We run the 9000's and really like the adjustability. We paired them with the Rancho 3" coils and have been very happy. We have heard and read that the plush ride's are really nicely matched with the 9000's as well.

Good to know...thanks for Rancho review....I'm going to think about this for a few before making a decision. I would need to have the shocks here be Wednesday, so that I don't have to cancel our trip yet again.

chipper

Good to know...thanks for Rancho review....I'm going to think about this for a few before making a decision. I would need to have the shocks here be Wednesday, so that I don't have to cancel our trip yet again.

I read on another thread that Rancho is having a big rebate or sale next month. If you can wait a few days. Maybe worth it. Good luck. Btw, I love my 9000's

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Sooo, I cleaned off the shock and cut off the boot. I disconnected the lower shock bolts to see how the shock would react pulling it off the mount. It extended right out like it should. I used a floor jack to compress it a number of times and each time it was smooth and still extended like it should when released. Now I'm thinking that the boot might have been holding a bunch of junk in it (mud, degreaser, cleaner, etc) and when the boot came loose all this shit came down on the shock. I'm not sure. Guess I'll have to wait and see. I'm not going to postpone our trip. Looks like I have until tomorrow evening to decide what to do. Decisions, decisions.

Rccrwlr

Sooo, I cleaned off the shock and cut off the boot. I disconnected the lower shock bolts to see how the shock would react pulling it off the mount. It extended right out like it should. I used a floor jack to compress it a number of times and each time it was smooth and still extended like it should when released. Now I'm thinking that the boot might have been holding a bunch of junk in it (mud, degreaser, cleaner, etc) and when the boot came loose all this shit came down on the shock. I'm not sure. Guess I'll have to wait and see. I'm not going to postpone our trip. Looks like I have until tomorrow evening to decide what to do. Decisions, decisions.

You may be able to get them on Amazon and if your prime it's 2days depending on the fulfiller. Ditch the boots

Top Bottom