North GA Forest Service Road Trip - September 19th

thardy

Banned
UPDATE: DATE CHANGE TO 9/26

A couple buddies of mine that happen to not be on the forum were wanting to get out and tour some of the Forest Service roads here in North Georgia. I have put the following trip together for Saturday, September 19th. For those that would like to join, let me know, just keep in mind that there will not be too many actual difficult obstacles on these trails. This trip is more about getting out and having a good time in mountains. Below is the schedule and route. If you're going to join this ride, please let me know when and where you will be joining, if not at the initial meeting location.

1. Meeting Spot (1) (we will be leaving at 7:15 am, so please arrive on time)
Stonebridge Village Shopping Center (Home Depot/Kohls)
5855 Spout Springs Rd
Flowery Branch, GA 30542
(Located right off of I-985 and Spout Springs Rd - There's a Chick-Fil-A in the shopping center if you would like breakfast)

Meeting Spot 2 (we will arrive at approximately 8:15 am, and roll out ASAP)
Helen Tubing & Waterpark
9917 GA-75
Helen, GA 30545

2. Bell Mountain - We will arrive at Bell Mountain around 8:45-9:00 am.

3. Flatlands - Depending on trail time at Bell Mountain, we should arrive at Flatlands around 11:30-Noon. We will be doing lunch along the trail, near the trail head. I will more than likely be bringing a small grill if anyone wants to throw on some hot dogs or anything. If the weather isn't great, we will stop in Dahlonega after the trail.

4. Nimblewill Gap

If those would like, we might make some sight seeing stops along the way. Not to mention, there's always the moonshine distillery in Dawsonville that's a fun stop!

This run will be capped at 10 rigs.

Going:
thardy
1. Scrambler
2. OscarMike2.0 (meeting at Flatlands)
3. bonedaddy
4. MattMC (meeting at Flatlands)

Maybe:
bsimon187 (would meet at Bell Mt)

Last edited:

Grubbicon

You can put me in there as well. Surely ill have something working by then lol. Worse case i know of a little toyota that likes to pretend its a jeep.

A.J.

Man I wish I was there. My sister lives over in Dahlonega. Beautiful area. Seems like I remember a pretty well set up Jeep at Merrill when I was up there for a visit. Anyone in your group? Sounds like a good time.

TrueBlueEagle

My Saturdays during football season usually end up kind of busy. I'll talk to the boss lady though. If we're not down at GSU for Family Weekend, then I might tag along. Any chance ya'll would do a ride on a Sunday sometime?

Also, what is Flatlands? Haven't heard of that one yet...

Grubbicon

My Saturdays during football season usually end up kind of busy. I'll talk to the boss lady though. If we're not down at GSU for Family Weekend, then I might tag along. Any chance ya'll would do a ride on a Sunday sometime?

Also, what is Flatlands? Haven't heard of that one yet...
It is a forest service road up in Suches Ga. It is more of a easy trail then a road. It has a few creek crossings and is just a fun nice ride. Ill post some pictures from there in a few when I get a chance.

Grubbicon

Here is some pictures of the main creek that everyone always stops to play at.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441034476.552027.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441034511.490041.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441034638.140757.jpg

Random picture in the middle of the trail.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441035086.825996.jpg

The back side trail head.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441035184.449052.jpg

thardy

Banned
Also, I made a slight change to this run. Due to the nature of this run, we will be capping the group out at 10 rigs. If you are not able to make it on this run, we will do more.

I also plan on working out a nice weekend trip taking only forest service roads in the mountains, for those that might be interested in a trip of that nature.

TrueBlueEagle

It is a forest service road up in Suches Ga. It is more of a easy trail then a road. It has a few creek crossings and is just a fun nice ride. Ill post some pictures from there in a few when I get a chance.

Gotcha, thanks. Nice pics. Fall/winter can't get here fast enough! Been loving this cold weather recently. Will a stock JKU make it over the dreaded rock at the top of Bell I've heard about? Dont wanna slow you guys down.

Trevor, put me as a maybe, pending the boss-lady's approval.

Scrambler

Gotcha, thanks. Nice pics. Fall/winter can't get here fast enough! Been loving this cold weather recently. Will a stock JKU make it over the dreaded rock at the top of Bell I've heard about? Dont wanna slow you guys down.

If you don't want to take it all the way up there is a spot before the last 50 yards or so that you can park and ride up with one of us. As long as you have some rocker protection you should be fine, though.

Grubbicon

It is doable in a stock jeep. I believe another member with a stock jkur made it no problem. I know Thardy can give more insight on that considering he was there.

thardy

Banned

If you don't have rocker protection, I do not recommend going up past the rock in question. We took MattMC's stock JKUR up and he got into his rockers both going up and coming back down. The rock rails did there job though. It really comes up to what you would want to do. I have no problem spotting you up but I cannot guarantee that your rockers won't get scratched up a little, nothing major though.

Like Scrambler said, there is a spot where you can bail off and ride up with someone else for lunch. I know of one other stock JKU that will probably be doing the same thing.

I'll put you on the list.

Scrambler

I haven't been up it in awhile, but I'm hoping the extra GC I've obtained since the last time I went up will make up for not having any rocker protection. What do you think Trevor?

Top Bottom