Suspension changes - suggestions

JohnnyD

So I know this type of thread has been done...sorry for the repeat but looking for suggestions to my specific build/issue.

RK Stock Mod 2.5 - triple rates
Full Clayton 8 arm set
RK Front Track bar
Stock rear track with Clayton bracket
RK RRD 2.0 Shocks all around
Adams Ds's
Toyo Rt's 35x12.5x17 - E load
NO SPARE
Expedition One Basix DX (Wednesday deliver), presently JCR defender with skid - Warn Zeon 10S
EVO rear fascia

This all given me about spot on 3" llift front and rear

All numbers are where they should be, DS angles, axles centered, toe, caster, etc....triple checked

I want a better ride on road. Offroad the rig is fine and performs very well.

I am thinking the combo of E loads, stiff RK springs and shocks and a light two door are the culprits.

So handling on a nice road is perfectly fine. BUT expansion joints, two inch potholes, high speed on highway expansion joints, all of these are harsh. If anyone has any experience with roads in the North East I'm sure you can identify. Just took a three hour ride to NH this past weekend and well, it was shitty. (I gotta beleive it can be better)

I have checked the shocks them seem fine. Inspected springs, again fine.

I am just looking for suggestions. I've thought about swapping in a nice set of adjustable shocks and see what happens....on the same tack thought about swapping coils as well. I wouldn't mind a component at time way of doing it as I can see and feel individual changes.

My budget is not limited, but my knowledge and time are. I've shyed away from coilovers as they seem fairly intrusive and require a lot of love, but mostly...its my lack of knowledge that I'm really worried about. Even though I have the means, this is a DD and I defintely need it to be in working order after a days work. I like to do everything myself, this is not negotiable short of gears.

I am not against changing any component should the results be a better ON ROAD ride, BUT I do not want to waste time or money (some might say I've done so already lol), but I figure this is all a discovery....so be it.

So, who gots ideas???

JakeJK

So I know this type of thread has been done...sorry for the repeat but looking for suggestions to my specific build/issue.

RK Stock Mod 2.5 - triple rates
Full Clayton 8 arm set
RK Front Track bar
Stock rear track with Clayton bracket
RK RRD 2.0 Shocks all around
Adams Ds's
Toyo Rt's 35x12.5x17 - E load
NO SPARE
Expedition One Basix DX (Wednesday deliver), presently JCR defender with skid - Warn Zeon 10S
EVO rear fascia

This all given me about spot on 3" llift front and rear

All numbers are where they should be, DS angles, axles centered, toe, caster, etc....triple checked

I want a better ride on road. Offroad the rig is fine and performs very well.

I am thinking the combo of E loads, stiff RK springs and shocks and a light two door are the culprits.

So handling on a nice road is perfectly fine. BUT expansion joints, two inch potholes, high speed on highway expansion joints, all of these are harsh. If anyone has any experience with roads in the North East I'm sure you can identify. Just took a three hour ride to NH this past weekend and well, it was shitty. (I gotta beleive it can be better)

I have checked the shocks them seem fine. Inspected springs, again fine.

I am just looking for suggestions. I've thought about swapping in a nice set of adjustable shocks and see what happens....on the same tack thought about swapping coils as well. I wouldn't mind a component at time way of doing it as I can see and feel individual changes.

My budget is not limited, but my knowledge and time are. I've shyed away from coilovers as they seem fairly intrusive and require a lot of love, but mostly...its my lack of knowledge that I'm really worried about. Even though I have the means, this is a DD and I defintely need it to be in working order after a days work. I like to do everything myself, this is not negotiable short of gears.

I am not against changing any component should the results be a better ON ROAD ride, BUT I do not want to waste time or money (some might say I've done so already lol), but I figure this is all a discovery....so be it.

So, who gots ideas???

I'm pretty sure everyone here will tell you if you want a better ride quality it's in the coils, and to get evo plush rides I started a thread a while back about the most comfortable lift and evo was the winner hands down

Load Range E tires at full recommended PSI will produce a very jolting drive on the conditions you mentioned, Easy to try - Just take some are out of your tires then go from there.

JohnnyD

Load Range E tires at full recommended PSI will produce a very jolting drive on the conditions you mentioned, Easy to try - Just take some are out of your tires then go from there.

I've got em at 26 and 24......don't feel comfy going lower for daily driving...

Agreed on the JOLTING...this is a good descriptive word for what it feels like.

JohnnyD

Give some softer coils a try.

So you think coils are it...hmmm k... well everyone has all sorts of accolades for the plush rides any others for consideration? I like the Clayton boys, as they are in my backyard and love to keep the love local.

I should mention that I would like to keep the level of lift I have now, do not really want to go higher, BUT, BUT I will if there is an consensus that the ride would get better.

It is just way harsh right now....

JohnnyD

Oh, one most important thing I forgot to mention in my original post, this is a given and is not negotiable as well, it must wheel as good or better than it does now lol. I cannot give this up... worse case I will buy a friggin prius if I cant have both.... I prefer to have one rig one focus one goal.

JohnnyD

So I had chance to ride in a couple of light two doors similar to mine, one had a full emu light grade lift, this was smushy ride in my opinion

The other had full RK , I forget what the call it, the one that stretches the rear an inch, with bilsteins. I thought this was worse than what I have.

Both had d load 35's, one duratrac and one km2

I didn't feel the rides were any better than what I have.

I think I might be splittin hairs here...I think an expensive combination of changes would help, but again law of finishing returns I think

t8er

I have had a lot of suggestions to go long arm as well.... any thoughts on this?

I've ridden in jeeps with long arms. They can improve ride quality but I'll say the coils and shocks will do more. Here's why. You already have adjustable control arms to improve front end geometry getting it very close to stock. The long arms will put it exactly back to stock. I'd consider it but it's definitely not a cheap option. I've got RE coils with fox shocks and it definitely rides better than before. I also run stock control arms with the geometry correction brackets and a synergy drag link flip. I do have load range D Mud Grapplers and I run those at 28 psi for comfort and even wear. I will say I've been in rigs with plush rides and the do ride nicely. The ones I've been in with plush rides had fox's and Bilsteins for their shocks. I'm sure the Kings would be great also. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom