New to Jeeps and need help understanding front bumper options

cfrazier1977

Hello,
My wife and I joined the Jeep world in May with a new 2015 JKUS. We have had big trucks in the past which have a different kind of off road in mind.

I was going to take my time learning everything I could about Wranglers before making changes, but some "nice" person hit the front stock bumper and did a number to the plastic. Instead of spending money on more plastic and then later to replace it with a real bumper, we decided to get the real one now. And that is the problem. We don't know what to get let along from who. We currently do rock crawl and I don't see a lot of that in the future.

If someone could provide or link to, I could not find anything searching, the pros and cons of a full width, mid, and stubby bumper I would be very happy. I do want to install a winch later and prefer the winch being in the bumper as opposed to on it. If there is anything else I need to know or be thinking about please let me know. Later on I will add a matching rear bumper. Also, we plan on going to 33" tires when the factory ones wear out and coil spacers to make the room.

Thanks!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
evo, lod, and posion spider are very good choices. I would look at the EVO pro series bumper. Less of the rock crawler look and still keeps the winch between the frame rails to keep it lower.

dillard09

If you like the look of a stubby, you can get the 1/4 pounder without the stinger. Will set your winch down between frame rails. Nice and beefy too. Then later if and when you want you could throw the stinger on it. Or even a purejeep winch guard.

Rccrwlr

Basic jist of the different widths is the approach angle to an obstacle. A narrower bumper will provide better obstacle approach.

Others have given different options

JK LYF

If you like the look of a stubby, you can get the 1/4 pounder without the stinger. Will set your winch down between frame rails. Nice and beefy too. Then later if and when you want you could throw the stinger on it. Or even a purejeep winch guard.

This would be a great option! 🔼🔼

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Its a lot of personal preference also. I will say though that it seems like there are not very many bumpers that set the winch down in them instead of on them. I could be wrong though as I really didnt look around at bumpers but went straight to EVO. You might try to find all of the bumpers that do set the winch down in it and then determine which one of those you like. Just my :twocents: to add.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I know this probably isn't a popular choice but the Rugged Ridge XHD module front bumper might be worth looking into. It's a very versatile bumper with interchangeable parts. The winch also sits down inside the bumper. Just my 2 cents.

JohnnyD

There are several options you can go with.

Keep in mind weight WILL sag your stock coils.

I had a jcr defender which performed well for me, though I did not take any very hard hits to it, powder coating last well through New England winter, BUT this is heavy, with winch and all was at 157lbs as the scale says.

I am in the midst of going much cleaner and lighter with an expedition one basic dx, it is basically a stylized winch plate, the front needed a diet.

All the above mentioned bumpers are great, EVO, PS, LOD, etc..

Full widths will offer a bit more protection for the sides of your grill, and offer more space for add ons.

Sinking your winch down between frame rails will require some cutting and drilling depending on your bumper choice.

When you decide highly suggest reviewing install notes very carefully

JohnnyD

Also, suggest getting a bare steel model and paint yourself, some MFGs charge ridiculous amounts for powder coating.

Paint with a good bedliner, much easier to touch up later on after she's all scratched up

Top Bottom