Lucas engine oil stop leak

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you're "leaking" oil as opposed to "burning" it? If you are in fact leaking, it may help to slow it down at best but you just can't pour something into your engine and make it stop a leak.

Jgarch

I'd either fix it or trade it in, depending on where the leak is. At best, stop leak will only buy you some time.

JakeJK

Are you sure you're "leaking" oil as opposed to "burning" it? If you are in fact leaking, it may help to slow it down at best but you just can't pour something into your engine and make it stop a leak.

Not leaking it's burning but I was thinking maybe that would help with the burning, I guess the burning is pretty normal but it's kind of annoying

It's going through a quart about every 1500 miles

Last edited:

Peak

As stated it will only slow it down. Only way to completely stop it is by changing the seal or part.

jeeeep

Hooked
Not leaking it's burning but I was thinking maybe that would help with the burning, I guess the burning is pretty normal but it's kind of annoying

It's going through a quart about every 1500 miles

what weight oil are you using?

when was the last time you checked the pcv valve and hose from the valve cover to the air intake tube?

I wouldn't use that thick oil as a solution, it usually causes more damage than it fixes and more so if your engine has worn rings

JakeJK

what weight oil are you using?

when was the last time you checked the pcv valve and hose from the valve cover to the air intake tube?

I wouldn't use that thick oil as a solution, it usually causes more damage than it fixes and more so if your engine has worn rings

I went up to 5w30 because it was burning the 5w20, I've never checked those. I will try to check those I'm not really sure how though

Jgarch

What about something like engine restore? They actually claim to help with oil consumption.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
What about something like engine restore? They actually claim to help with oil consumption.

I think it falls into the same category as Stop Leak: Snake Oil. It may slow it down slightly, but I can guarantee it is not actually fixing any problems. In fact, it may even cause some you didn't have to begin with.

To the OP, If the engine is dry underneath with no signs of leakage, then it is being burned as Eddie already mentioned. Depending on how many miles your motor has and how long you intend to keep the Jeep, it would probably be best just to add as necessary and keep and eye on consumption. One quart every 1,500 miles isn't great, but not horrible either. It could easily stabilize at that consumption rate and the cost of oil every 1,500 miles will be far cheaper than tearing apart the engine to chase a bad ring or valve seat.

If you wanted to do a little exploring on your own, you could pull each spark plug and note how the plugs look as compared to one another. If one is wet with oil or considerably blacker, than you would at least know which cylinder is your culprit. That said, these newer engines run considerably hotter than the old V8s and are more likely to burn off any oil residue.

Good luck!

JakeJK

I think it falls into the same category as Stop Leak: Snake Oil. It may slow it down slightly, but I can guarantee it is not actually fixing any problems. In fact, it may even cause some you didn't have to begin with.

To the OP, If the engine is dry underneath with no signs of leakage, then it is being burned as Eddie already mentioned. Depending on how many miles your motor has and how long you intend to keep the Jeep, it would probably be best just to add as necessary and keep and eye on consumption. One quart every 1,500 miles isn't great, but not horrible either. It could easily stabilize at that consumption rate and the cost of oil every 1,500 miles will be far cheaper than tearing apart the engine to chase a bad ring or valve seat.

If you wanted to do a little exploring on your own, you could pull each spark plug and note how the plugs look as compared to one another. If one is wet with oil or considerably blacker, than you would at least know which cylinder is your culprit. That said, these newer engines run considerably hotter than the old V8s and are more likely to burn off any oil residue.

Good luck!

Yeah it was only 4 bucks for a quart I may try running synthetic, is it bad to switch to synthetic after it's been running non synthetic? My jeep has 56k miles and I plan on keeping it for a very long time as it is the first vehicle I have ever purchased and my first jeep

Jgarch

Yeah it was only 4 bucks for a quart I may try running synthetic, is it bad to switch to synthetic after it's been running non synthetic? My jeep has 56k miles and I plan on keeping it for a very long time as it is the first vehicle I have ever purchased and my first jeep

Would there be any help through the warranty?

Good luck!

What would you do if you identified a black(er) plug?

Bustedback

At 56k on the clock you should visit the dealer and see if they will do anything for you. But I can pretty much guarantee they will tell you a quart in 1500 miles is normal.

Jgarch

I think my warranty ran out in August

Ouch! So close. If it's normally a warranted issue, maybe you could make enough of a fuss at your dealer to get it covered. I've heard of people having success with that with both Ford and Subaru.

Moochie

At 56k on the clock you should visit the dealer and see if they will do anything for you. But I can pretty much guarantee they will tell you a quart in 1500 miles is normal.

A quart use in 1000 miles is within Chrysler's specs.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

I've heard, but not personally experienced, switching to synthetic can cause leaks/burning to get worse as the oil is a bit more sneaky and finds the weak spots (bad seals, rings, etc.) YMMV.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
What would you do if you identified a black(er) plug?

Kinda your call. If only one cylinder shows sings of oil intrusion (black plug), then you basically have three routes that the oil is taking into the engine:

* Past the rings
* Past the valve guides
* Through the head gasket (least likely)

In pretty much all three scenarios, it would require you to pull the head at a minimum to inspect. If you had access to a borescope, you might be able to peek through the spark plug hole and see if anything is really obvious such as a scored cylinder wall or a black/burnt valve.

If it were me, I'd probably start by tracking oil consumption. If it stays at 1qt/1,5000mi, I'd probably just keep running it and avoid the potential rata nest of opening up the motor.

Hope this helps!

Pixel

Ahh I'll stick with normal then

This is a pretty good video explaining the two and why a lot of times people blame synthetics for the problems they have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEBI1QndPo also if you checkout Bob is the Oil Guy its been discussed there a ton. Me personally, I don't leak oil but I burn about 1qt every 1000/1500 miles. I complained about it since my first real oil change (I say real because I did two "break-in" oil changes when I first purchased the vehicle. Even if they weren't necessary it provided cheap peace of mind) Numerous Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealers all told me the same nonsense that 1000/1500 was normal, go figure.:idontknow:

Top Bottom