Line-X or something else...

SevenSlotSpartan

Hey there wayalifers so i found this sweet jeep in a PS gallery and was curious as to if any of you guys can tell if the front brawler lite and the fenders are coated in Line-X or something else? I want to coat my own bumpers, fenders, and sliders when i get them, but can't seem to find something with a good finish like this JKU has. It looks like a bedliner material but it has that nice sheen to it kinda like Line-X has...

what do you fellers this stuff is?

DanReeves01-X3.jpg
DanReeves04X-X3.jpg

bsimon187

I would stick with a good black spray paint. I have my front and rear bumpers line-x'd. It was great at first, but then slide on a few rocks, come down on a point, and then it starts peeling. Then you either just deal with it or take everything back off and re linex it take it all off and just spray paint. I am in the midst of peeling it slowly off and painting until I get the time to do it all at the same time. Just my thoughts if I did it over again.

jedg

I'm with bsimon187 on this. I prefer the spray paint. It's easier to repair scrapes and such.

SevenSlotSpartan

I would stick with a good black spray paint. I have my front and rear bumpers line-x'd. It was great at first, but then slide on a few rocks, come down on a point, and then it starts peeling. Then you either just deal with it or take everything back off and re linex it take it all off and just spray paint. I am in the midst of peeling it slowly off and painting until I get the time to do it all at the same time. Just my thoughts if I did it over again.

Gosh i feel for ya that would be a pain especially after spending all that money on a nice coat of line-x! yeah right now i have a couple rattle cans of rustoleum's bedliner stuff so hopefully that'll do the trick

BigPrince

I had the same problem. Sprayed my fenders, armor, and bumpers line-x. Loked good at first then as soon as it gets scratched, you can't touch it up and once you start trying to peel it to touch it up with something else, it doesn't stop. Comes off like Plastidip once it's compromised. Had all my stuff sprayed line-x twice(line-x refused to warranty it also as it's not a truck bed) and finally gave up and went with a nice black stain powdercoat(that can be touched up with the same in spray paint) and I am 1000x happier with it. Cleans much much easier as well.

Picture after wheeling a day at Windrock. You can see about an 18" strip of linex hanging under my rocker guards that got peeled by a rock. Doesn't just scratch.
line-x%20torn.jpg

I will never do line-x again. Even had my new truck bed sprayed by Bullet.

Last edited:

Saharacon

My front and rear bumpers are sprayed in linex without the Uv spray added it seems to fade unless I spray some sort of citrus based cleaner.

Attachments

• 1441152682553.jpg
    1441152682553.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 178

SevenSlotSpartan

My front and rear bumpers are sprayed in linex without the Uv spray added it seems to fade unless I spray some sort of citrus based cleaner.

Good looking rig man! How do you like the Ace pro series? I've been considering getting that bumper but with the 20" single row LED light provision i just haven't pulled the trigger yet. The install seems pretty easy, other than trimming the one side of the frame horn.

Saharacon

Very easy and very little trimming was needed. I highly suggest the 20 inch provision my 10inch looks so small. These bumpers are beefy though I've taken some nice hits before without even a scratch.

I enjoy ACE products but only got this set due to how cheap the original owner was selling them for. I would have liked a tire mount on the rear.

Saharacon

By the way next summer I'm actually having Line X coat my entire JK and all the armor with the color used on Military vehicles since LineX is contracted by the DOD to spray special unit vehicles already the tan and drab green tints are common around most LineX shops

jkjurny

Textures powdercoat worked well for me on my PS bumpers. I use Rustoleum Texture Black which is a pretty close match to the powder coat.

SevenSlotSpartan

By the way next summer I'm actually having Line X coat my entire JK and all the armor with the color used on Military vehicles since LineX is contracted by the DOD to spray special unit vehicles already the tan and drab green tints are common around most LineX shops

That's going to be sweet!! Be sure to post up some pics in a thread when that gets under way!!

Saharacon

That's going to be sweet!! Be sure to post up some pics in a thread when that gets under way!!

Yea I'll keep it updated on my build thread. But first I need to source out all my visual modifications. Just need step bars, Body cladding and B pillar guards. Posion spyder will supply me with the pillar but I think I'm stuck using smitty bilt body cladding. I wanted to used the rocker guard from ps

Saharacon

Sorry to hijack! But I recommend line x. It's durable, gives an exotic and aggressive look. And over all is just flat out bad ass. Now with the tints being added you can get way more creative

bsimon187

Sorry to hijack! But I recommend line x. It's durable, gives an exotic and aggressive look. And over all is just flat out bad ass. Now with the tints being added you can get way more creative

I have my hard top linex'd and it is one of my favorite mods. Holds up great to getting hit by trees and keeps my top pretty much damage free. However, putting it on bumpers and rock rails is a bad idea. Scraping it on rocks it just comes off. Will look good if you never hit a trail in it, but if you wheel, only a matter of time before it starts coming off.

Saharacon

^ this is actually a selling point for my top right now. I have it listed for 1500.00 because on the LineX but if I keep getting low ballers I'll just keep it for winter

bsimon187

^ this is actually a selling point for my top right now. I have it listed for 1500.00 because on the LineX but if I keep getting low ballers I'll just keep it for winter

I usually run my soft top from March to November, but we have a 10 month old, so I put the hard top on. So I have been wheeling this summer with the hard top on and people see me take pretty good hits off of trees and into the sides of hills and look for damage when we stop. Always amazed that there is none. I wish my bumpers would have held up as good as my hard top has. I Linex'd the inside as well. It actually makes it a lot quieter and hold its temp a lot better than before I sprayed it.

TrueBlueEagle

I have my hard top linex'd and it is one of my favorite mods. Holds up great to getting hit by trees and keeps my top pretty much damage free. However, putting it on bumpers and rock rails is a bad idea. Scraping it on rocks it just comes off. Will look good if you never hit a trail in it, but if you wheel, only a matter of time before it starts coming off.

Got a thread anywhere with pics of this? Dont wanna hijack too much, but I'd like to check it out! I hate the white inside of the hardtops, and not of fan of the headliners.

BigPrince

Thought I would share since you're also a white Jeep -

Line-X on MetalCloak armor/ overline fenders (Duplicolor bed armor on PS Bumpers - this stuff is crap also):

Snorkel2.jpg

Black Satin Powdercoat on MetalCloak armor/ overline fenders & PS bumpers:

powdercoat4.jpg

bsimon187

Got a thread anywhere with pics of this? Dont wanna hijack too much, but I'd like to check it out! I hate the white inside of the hardtops, and not of fan of the headliners.

I don't have a thread, but here are some pics of it.. My jeep is Crush, so i hated the white interior as well. Ended up linex'ing it because I dropped the hard top off of the back of my jeep and breaking the glass, cracked the back,etc. Fixed it and linex'd it. the guy basically charged me $50 extra to do the inside. The freedom panels sit up a tad higher and you need to put some weight on them to get them to settle at first but I have not had any leaks since.. IMG_0638.jpg IMG_0639.jpg IMG_0641.jpg

Top Bottom