Ball Joint Replacement... How Hard is it?

Briguy114

Started having some death wobble issues recently. Checked track bar torque, brackets, bushings, and all checks out. Next suspect is the ball joints. Some info on the Jeep. 2007 2dr X model. All stock except for rubicon shocks, and some aftermarket wheels with 4.6" backspacing with stock sized tires. 62k miles. I haven't put a dial indicator on the ball joints yet but I plan to.

There is a local Jeep shop, but if I can tackle this on my own I would like to save the money and learn a little bit more about my Jeep in the process. I'm no mechanic but I do have basic skills. What say you? Is this something that I can tackle on my own?

Benito

Caught the Bug
I was looking at the harbor freight ball joint press kit, or renting one

I just did them myself... I rented a universal ball joint press and the 4x4 adapter set from ¿o'reillys? Those kits still didn't have all the right adapters. I had to use a deep socket in combination with the kits. Need less to say I was able to get them done but wouldn't do it again unless I get the right tools

jjlong

^^^^^What he said^^^^^^
Did mine for the first time, took about 3 hrs but stopped frequently to watch the videos. The local Auto parts store should give you a free 24 hr rental tool.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
My local advanced auto had the 30 piece ball joint kit with all the right adapters. Made it easy. Oreilys only had the 8 piece first time I tried it and had to use some old 1" drive sockets too like others said. I'd try advanced if there is one by you and specifically ask if they have the big kit.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Anybody interested in purchasing a ball joint press check out rock auto. I bought the exact same kit that Oreillys rents out and sells but I got it for half the price Oreillys sells it for. I also ordered the extra adapter kit at half price also.

I have all the tools, I've had them go really easy (1 hr total) and I've had them take all weekend and be a total PITA. If you live where there is humidity and/or winter salted roads they are likely to be much harder, especially if this is the first time they are coming out.

I like to do them when the vehicle can be down for a day or two. If they are bound up, just leave it alone under tension. Check it every hour or so and knock the ear with a metal hammer (not too hard but you need the shock like an impact). Then try to tighten the screw some more. Repeat until it frees up. Sometimes this happens in a sudden BANG and you thing something broke.

noroad

I have done them a couple times, about to be three time on the jk. It does take some time but if you have basic skills you should be ok just go slow. Try and have a back up car if possible and an auto parts or deal number ready. Never know if a bolt is going to break. If you have good miles on the hubs thats a good time to change them as well. Just some food for thought!

Briguy114

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't even considering replacing with OE ball joints. The local shop suggested Moog and Ive read suggestions on here for Crown. Dynatracs are out of my price range. Any opinions on the Moog joints?

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't even considering replacing with OE ball joints. The local shop suggested Moog and Ive read suggestions on here for Crown. Dynatracs are out of my price range. Any opinions on the Moog joints?

Moog makes okay stuff, but it's not any better than the stock IMO. Many will suggest Synergy or Alloy, but in my experience they will not last very long either. (I've seen both go bad several times with around 30k miles.) If you buy them twice you are approaching the cost of the Dynatracs that will last forever.

Sorry, I know you said these were out of your price range, but if you plan to keep the axle you have I would put the good stuff in.

noroad

my crown HD ones went with in a year(had 25k on them ish) and the guy gave me a new set for free.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have all the tools, I've had them go really easy (1 hr total) and I've had them take all weekend and be a total PITA. If you live where there is humidity and/or winter salted roads they are likely to be much harder, especially if this is the first time they are coming out.

I like to do them when the vehicle can be down for a day or two. If they are bound up, just leave it alone under tension. Check it every hour or so and knock the ear with a metal hammer (not too hard but you need the shock like an impact). Then try to tighten the screw some more. Repeat until it frees up. Sometimes this happens in a sudden BANG and you thing something broke.

Exactly this. Sometimes they are easy and sometimes not so much.

Top Bottom