My break in period for my new gears is up ...

mo0s3

I went to 4:88 in my 2015 JKU Sport.
What gear oil and how much is recommended when I change it today ?
Thanks in advance !

The manual calls for 75W-90 in both front and rear axles, for towing or "heavy duty" applications (I see any lifted Jeep with large tires in this category) swap to 75W-140 for the rear.

The 85 winter rating in a cold climate might make some noise in the winter until it heats up.

Ddays

Hooked
Hmmm, after reading this earlier I called Dynatrac to see what they recommended for my first diff change and they said 3000 miles? :idontknow:
They also recommended standard oil, no synthetics.

JK LYF

I was advised that 500 miles was the break in period when I did my gear swap. It was also suggested that I change gear oil at that time. I actually changed my gear oil at 750 miles (waited for new diff covers). I used the oil that Eddie suggested on his diff cover write up (forgot which oil though. I'd have to look it up). I've had no issues. The write up is in Project JK.

ChaosNein

For those changing their DIFF FLUID after a gear swap, might I recommend taking the vehicle to the shop that did the work. This will allow them to not just change the oil, but to clean out the carrier and actually CHECK THE SETUP to ensure your gears will last with no issues.

ttfhell

For those changing their DIFF FLUID after a gear swap, might I recommend taking the vehicle to the shop that did the work. This will allow them to not just change the oil, but to clean out the carrier and actually CHECK THE SETUP to ensure your gears will last with no issues.

So that's important? I thought as long as there are no chunks it's good. Is this what that weird yellow paint is used to see the wear pattern? Lol

jeeeep

Hooked

great advice :thumb:

Ddays

Hooked
Thats really great advice, unfortunately I bought my axles from Northridge in Washington- long ass drive from Western PA to get diff fluid changed!
One of the downfalls from not buying local I guess, but when you get great advice & straight answers, well, shame on them locals...

Top Bottom