Rubicon Run 9/22/2012 - EVO1's Final Run Through the Old Little Sluice

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know this is a bit old and we did do a video highlighting Mel's final run up the Little Sluice but, I never really made an official trip report about our 2nd Rubicon Run for 2012 and thought, better late than never. Anyway, for those of you who are interested, here ya go.

Days after we got back from the 2012 JK-Experience, we were already packing up and getting ready to head up to the Rubicon with Mel from Off Road Evolution. As it turns out, the Little Sluice as we had known it for about 20 years was scheduled to be leveled and Mel wanted to give it one last run before it happen and, we wanted to be there to document it. Here are a few pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

After being gone for two and half weeks, we spent just enough time to get some bills paid and, we were back on the road heading up to the Rubicon...
main.php

Making a familiar stop for dinner but, I must say it was strange to be there without a few more Jeeps surrounding us...
main.php

Thank goodness for pay at the pump. Without it, we'd have been SOL here...
main.php

Our original plan was to stay the night in Lone Pine or maybe even Bishop but, with everything booked up all along the 395, we just kept on going till we made it to Tahoe. Only got pulled over once doing 55 in a 35 zone at 4:30 in the morning but the Sheriff was cool and let me off. Here's a shot after we checked in at about 5 AM...
main.php

As you can imagine, we slept late but, got up with enough time to strip down, do some shopping and take in the sights. Here's Moby over at Emerald Bay...
main.php

Enjoying some tasty brews at the Brewery at South Lake Tahoe before calling it a night...
main.php

Mel and little Mel pulled in late that night and just slept in their truck. Here we are giving them a wake up call before sun up...
main.php

Heading out to Loon Lake at the crack of dawn...
main.php

main.php

Oh, it's going to be a lovely day...
main.php

Meeting up with a customer of Mel's and getting ready to hit the trail...
main.php

All aired down and ready to go...
main.php

main.php

Dropping into the Granite Bowl...
main.php

main.php

main.php

And, climbing back out...
main.php

Moving right along, having some fun and not a care in the world...
main.php

Just as I was about to pass a Jeep who had pulled over to let me by, we heard a loug BANG! When we went to see what it might be, this is what we discovered - Not good...
main.php

Of all the breaks you can have on the trail, a sector shaft ranks pretty much at the top of the list, maybe second only to a hydrolocked motor. Without it, you're pretty much dead in the water. Looks like it's game over for us..
main.php

I was just gonna remove what was dangling, try my best to get back to the trail head and call it a day but, much to my surprise, Mel had one of these with him... A SPARE SECTOR SHAFT!!
main.php

If that weren't enough, he also had a grinder with him which he used to help smooth out what remained of the existing sector shaft...
main.php

Mel hammering on the broken sector shaft from below as I pryed up from above...
main.php

main.php

Even with all the right tools, know how and extra hands, it still took us about 3 hours to get this thing pulled without doing too much damage to the seals and bearings and replaced...
main.php

As you can see here, this thing had been breaking for a while and just chose this day on this trail to finally let go...
main.php

And just like that, we were on the move again...
main.php

Mel taking a detour up the Soup Bowl...
main.php

main.php

Easy as pie...
main.php

In spite of all the time we lost getting us back up an running, we still managed to make it out to the Little Sluice with plenty of daylight. Here are a few shots of Mel taking it on for the last time...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Of course, you can watch the whole thing here :cool:

After all that, EVO1 just took on a few new scratches...
main.php

On to Buck Island Lake...
main.php

Ahhh, home for the night...
main.php

Tessa wasting no time to do some island hopping while we set up camp...
main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Buck Island Lake at the crack of dawn...
main.php

main.php

Time to head on out...
main.php

main.php

Heading down the newly paved Big Sluice...
main.php

Believe it or not, there used to be boulders you had to crawl here - A sign of things to come for the Little Sluice...
main.php

And, there used to be a big rock and tree next to the driver side that made you climb high up on the right and causing you to get significantly off camber here. It's all gone now...
main.php

But, there are still a few obstacles that you can get twisted up on if you try hard enough...
main.php

Crossing the Rubicon Bridge...
main.php

main.php

Pulling into Rubicon Springs...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Stopping to check out the old pet cemetary at the other end of Rubicon Springs...
main.php

Time to make our way up Cadillac Hill...
main.php

This burned out brush just past the V-Rock was caused by a fire started after a gal rolled her Jeep during the Jeepers Jamboree. She sustained significant burns over her entire body and eventually died...
main.php

About half way up...
main.php

Just past the top - we didn't stop as we were trying to get past a slow group that had been ahead of us...
main.php

And we made it!!
main.php

Time for a sunset dinner at the Forest Buffet...
main.php

And of course, ROCK HARD WET WOODIES!!
main.php

I hope you enjoyed following us along on our 2nd Rubicon Run for the year and Mel's last run up the old Little Sluice. :cool:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Great report as always! Hoping to make at least one Rubicon run next year. :rock:

Serg5000

I was lucky enough to have experienced the Rubicon just before they changed it. It is the greatest adventure I have been able to log in the short time I have owned my JK. The beautiful trail still remains. And I shall return to it. It may be a different trail now. However the mountains are still there for us to enjoy. It is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. And I was in a Jeep. Life just doesn't get any better then that.

Thank you for sharing this with us Eddie.

JAGS

Hooked
The vid was cool as I saw that when you originally posted. But the stills are really great. :thumb:
Forgive this next stupid question, but where were your doors while out on the trail. Saw you had them at first and then....not? :idontknow:

Serg5000

I would guess they left them in the hotel room. The picture showing Moby parked at night at the hotel was the last time they were on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The vid was cool as I saw that when you originally posted. But the stills are really great. :thumb:
Forgive this next stupid question, but where were your doors while out on the trail. Saw you had them at first and then....not? :idontknow:

I would guess they left them in the hotel room. The picture showing Moby parked at night at the hotel was the last time they were on.

As mentioned, we book a room while we're on the trail and leave our doors and top in them. Sure, it's a waste of a room but, I see it as cheap insurance. Certainly, busting up a door, window or top is a hell of a lot more expensive to fix or replace. :crazyeyes:

JAGS

Hooked
As mentioned, we book a room while we're on the trail and leave our doors and top in them. Sure, it's a waste of a room but, I see it as cheap insurance. Certainly, busting up a door, window or top is a hell of a lot more expensive to fix or replace. :crazyeyes:

:thumb: That's what I thought you did. Like an oversized storage locker. I'll need to remember that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:thumb: That's what I thought you did. Like an oversized storage locker. I'll need to remember that.

LOL!! yeah, you could say that. If you go in with another guy, you can split the room and then it gets to being really affordable. :yup:

Moochie

wayoflife said:
LOL!! yeah, you could say that. If you go in with another guy, you can split the room and then it gets to being really affordable. :yup:

Great photos & sharing a room is always a good idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom