Replacing exhaust manifold

Hoyt Ag

How difficult is it to replace both exhaust manifolds on an 08 JK? I do a lot of my own repairs but have never tackled anything like this. I was installing a new radiator this weekend and knew one of them was leaking but I noticed the passenger side was too, so I guess I need to bite the bullet and do it, or pay to have it done. Finally, any recommendations on replacement manifolds? Thanks.

-Hoyt

IgotaWoody39

How difficult is it to replace both exhaust manifolds on an 08 JK? I do a lot of my own repairs but have never tackled anything like this. I was installing a new radiator this weekend and knew one of them was leaking but I noticed the passenger side was too, so I guess I need to bite the bullet and do it, or pay to have it done. Finally, any recommendations on replacement manifolds? Thanks.

-Hoyt
its not difficult at all...remove your drivers side wheel well cover for easy access, should take about two hours all said and done...Rock Auto sells everything as a kit...my bolts came right out, no breakage....and I just did mine @130k miles...make sure you recheck them for tightness after 100 miles or so...

jeeeep

Hooked
I just replaced both sides as well. I'd recommend shopping around for mopar manifolds, you should be able to get them for a good price.

I bought a set from napa based on price but they were stamped made in china, the manifold ports were smaller than stock and castings were really rough along the edges and the insides were worse.

I think the mopar manifold ports have been redesigned with smaller ports. I shopped 3 different dealers here and all the manifolds I checked had smaller ports.

I ended up ordering online along with gaskets. The gaskets are redesigned for the smaller exhaust ports.

On the 3.8 can't notice any difference in power.

Hoyt Ag

its not difficult at all...remove your drivers side wheel well cover for easy access, should take about two hours all said and done...Rock Auto sells everything as a kit...my bolts came right out, no breakage....and I just did mine @130k miles...make sure you recheck them for tightness after 100 miles or so...

Is this the kit you are talking about?

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3827883&cc=1441555&jnid=414&jpid=0
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3827121&cc=1441555&jnid=414&jpid=1

jeeeep

Hooked
,,, yep their the ones...I re-used my heat shield from my old one...better quality...

these are the same that napa sales, IMO they were pretty low quality, maybe I got a real bad set but the castings were horrible and the heat shields were like a heavy aluminum foil.

I'd spend the extra and go with mopar - if you go to stevewhiteparts.com they have good pricing on mopar manifold and gaskets.

you'll want to have your VIN # handy as they also double check the manifold against the vin for fitment.

Top Bottom