Rubicon Run 10/9/2012 - Moby's First Run Through the New Little Sluice

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As was the case with the Rubicon Run highlighting Mel's last run up the old Little Sluice, I never got around to posting up an official trip report our first run up the new Little Sluice and, here it is now.

Two weeks after our last run, we headed back up to the Rubicon Trail one more time to see what all had been done to the iconic Little Sluice and, to give it go to see just how much had changed. By now, the days were getting a lot shorter and the drive down to Loon Lake a lot colder. Because of this, our plan was just to get a late start, head on down with our doors on, check things out and then double back to Tahoe. Of course, by the time we were through with what we sought out to do, decided to just finish up the trail and get back to the lake that way. Anyway, here are a few pics from our third run on the Rubicon for 2012. I hope you enjoy.

Getting a late start and tanking up at South Lake Tahoe...
main.php

It's a little hard to see but, the ground out in the distance was covered in frost...
main.php

De javu - Loon Lake...
main.php

main.php

And here we go!! On to of the slab, all aired down and ready to roll...
main.php

Making our way into the Granite Bowl...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Up up and away back up we go...
main.php

Working out to the Little Sluice...
main.php

Along the way, we spent some time taking shots at locations where obstacles used to be to help complete a before and after article I had been working on. This used to be where Quarter Panel Rock used to be..
main.php

This was where Snorkel Eater was...
main.php

And, Cellphone Rock used to be here...
main.php

This is just before the Soup Bowl. You can still have some fun here but, as you can see, a lot of fill rock has been brought in making the hardest line a lot easier...
main.php

I don't know if they are new permanent fixtures or just there while work was being done on it but, there were port-a-potties at the Little Sluice...
main.php

The newly transformed Little Sluice...
main.php

Still a challenge but, nothing what it was before...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Time to take Moby up the newly transformed Little Sluice...
main.php

main.php

main.php

And, just like that, we were through...
main.php

Click on the screen below to watch a video of our run up the newly transformed Little Sluice...

Rather than doubling back to Loon Lake as we had originally planned, we decided to keep pushing forward and make our way to Lake Tahoe. Here's a shot of us coming down the transformed Thousand Dollar Hill (now closed) bypass...
main.php

Doing a little stretching before arriving at Buck Island Lake...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Beautiful day at Buck Island Lake...
main.php

main.php

More than the Little Sluice, it's things like this that really disappoints me - the Big Sluice super highway...
main.php

Ramping on the right for old time sakes...
main.php

No more trees here to make things tight...
main.php

Crossing the Rubicon Bridge...
main.php

Welcome to Rubicon Springs...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Posing for a few shots on top of Cadillac Hill...
main.php

main.php

And finally, ending the day with plenty of daylight to spare and a Rock Hard Wet Woodie!!
main.php

I hope you enjoyed following us on our third run across the Rubion this year. While the changes that have been made to it are sad, it's still one of the prettiest trails you can ever hope to run.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Another amazing photographic walk through the Rubicon. Thank you as always. I really do need to plan time off work to take a trip up to the Con.

Eddie what do you say are the minimum requirement for most trails in the Con? Would open diffs be okay or should I wait to go locked?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another amazing photographic walk through the Rubicon. Thank you as always. I really do need to plan time off work to take a trip up to the Con.

Eddie what do you say are the minimum requirement for most trails in the Con? Would open diffs be okay or should I wait to go locked?

So long as you go with others, you can totally run the Rubicon stock and with open diffs - more now than ever before. Even with all the "improvements" made, winter has a way of beating things up. I personally recommend that people have at least 2.5" of lift and 35" tires, rocker guards and tow points front and rear. With that, you'll have a good time and won't be holding up the group.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So long as you go with others, you can totally run the Rubicon stock and with open diffs - more now than ever before. Even with all the "improvements" made, winter has a way of beating things up. I personally recommend that people have at least 2.5" of lift and 35" tires, rocker guards and tow points front and rear. With that, you'll have a good time and won't be holding up the group.

Thats exactly what I will have by summer. See you there. :cheesy::thumb:

Awesome write up again. I love your photo articles but hate them at the same time. My list of places to visit and money to spend just gets longer and longer. haha

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Awesome run and great pics! :thumb: Its sad to see the Rubicon being destroyed little by little but I only hope winter will make it better so I can run it this next summer... :brows:

1BAMFR

Great pics/video/write up!

Question....how much would it cost to 100% duplicate Moby? Not including the cost of the Jeep...

Say, we are starting with an 07" 4dr. Rubi w/ 6spd. Trans.

FuriousDz

Rubicat has a build sheet....id love to see Moby's as he stands now :)

Id bet 2 prorock 60s with his configuration are probably closer to 12k

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
FuriousDz said:

12k won't even buy the axles

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great pics/video/write up!

Question....how much would it cost to 100% duplicate Moby? Not including the cost of the Jeep...

Say, we are starting with an 07" 4dr. Rubi w/ 6spd. Trans.

Hard to say as Moby has gone through so many transformations, lift kits, tires, etc.

Axles are probably 10K alone, Lift another 8-10K, tires and wheels, 5k, yeah a lot. lol

12k won't even buy the axles

As Chris has suggested, 12K will pretty much just cover the front axle but that's about it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!

12k for just the front axle????? :eek:

Guess Im a looooooooooooooong way off from being able to afford just 1 prorock 60 :giveup:

Well, there abouts. You can get one for less, about $8000 but, that won't come with Dynalock hubs, competition shafts or CTM u-joints. The rear is more affordable.

FuriousDz

Well, there abouts. You can get one for less, about $8000 but, that won't come with Dynalock hubs, competition shafts or CTM u-joints. The rear is more affordable.

Didnt realize how far off I was on a loaded 60. I was figuring around the price you mentioned, maybe a little higher. Shafts and joints I figured youd want to add. What do the hubs get you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom