Front driveshaft vibration

bwelker

2013 JKU Rubicon manual on 37's 3 1/2 lift. JE Reel 1310 front DS. Re-geared to 4.88 and immediately noticed front DS vibration due to pinion angle. Adjusted caster which helped, but didn't like flighty steering. Removing front DS eliminated vibration. Had driveshaft balanced.--still vibration. Upgraded to PR44 front axle. Really enjoying the extra caster but still having vibration at 65 to 70 mph, but considerably less. Any thoughts? Is this something I just need to learn to deal with?

JAGS

Hooked
I recently had a driveline vibration get worse to the point it needed some attention. It was also at 65-70. The driveline shop had to not only balance but also replace all the joints as they were toast.

This was on a JE Reel 1350 with about 27k on it. Jim said that was about the lifespan he's seeing on the older joints he was using.

Not sure how many miles are on your DS, but maybe have a shop look at the joints too??

bwelker

It is very possible that it is my u joints. I only have 22k miles on the jeep and DS though. I will start there..

jeeeep

Hooked
I had to have my front DS shortened after installing PR44 to eliminate the steep angle, no issues since

Set your pinion angle to the correct angle then measure for your DS , i took mine to drive line shop that had jeep knowledge and they got everything set properly, 80mph+ no issues but not as spooky on 35s as it is on 37s

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
2013 JKU Rubicon manual on 37's 3 1/2 lift. JE Reel 1310 front DS. Re-geared to 4.88 and immediately noticed front DS vibration due to pinion angle. Adjusted caster which helped, but didn't like flighty steering. Removing front DS eliminated vibration. Had driveshaft balanced.--still vibration. Upgraded to PR44 front axle. Really enjoying the extra caster but still having vibration at 65 to 70 mph, but considerably less. Any thoughts? Is this something I just need to learn to deal with?

What do you have your caster set at??

Top Bottom