Is this normal?

Jk4lfe

So I have combed through everything, all my control arms, shocks, springs, ect. I crawl under the jeep and reach the front drive shaft and shake it and im able to wiggle and rotate it from side to side... I have a loud clunking noise while turning under 20 mph... This doesnt seem right to me...

Sounds like you have a bad pinion bearing. ...and possibly a bad axle u-joint.

Are you able to take a video of what you are talking about?

Jk4lfe

It wont upload my video, it doesnt go in and out just rotates side to side a little bit... I cant pin point this clunking noise is

It wont upload my video, it doesnt go in and out just rotates side to side a little bit... I cant pin point this clunking noise is

You will need to upload to youtube and then link the video here. It could all be in the pinion and/or carrier bearings.

Jk4lfe

No it doesnt sound like that and the clunking doest happen unless Im turning left or right under 20 mph, ill see if I can get the video up soon

seanb123

Check to make sure your coils are both seated in the perch nicely if not sometimes they can make some funky noises

Jk4lfe

I have checked everything... It didnt start until after I installed a drag link flip, track bar relocation bracket...could it be it be in the steering shaft? Its very frustrating

Saharacon

I've always had the same noise it seems like. When I fully turn my wheel left or right you can almost hear what sounds like the gear box popping. I've heard before that the Gear boxes are known to break free and shift when under stress. I don't know if we have the same issue but maybe this will help more

jeeeep

Hooked
with the jeep running, leave it in park, or out of gear if you have a manual, when you turn the wheel side to side does the front of your jeep lift as you turn the wheel?

Jk4lfe

If I turn the the wheel while parked it doesnt pop at all.... Its only doing it when I turn while moving, and no it does not rise

dagdag

So I have combed through everything, all my control arms, shocks, springs, ect. I crawl under the jeep and reach the front drive shaft and shake it and im able to wiggle and rotate it from side to side... I have a loud clunking noise while turning under 20 mph... This doesnt seem right to me...

I had the same problem. I'm sorry to say you may need to have your transfer case rebuilt. The clunking is the guts of your transfer case doing bad things. In my case the cause was bad pinion angle in the front. An unbalanced drive line, or 4wd binding on pavement can also cause it.

Last edited:

Jk4lfe

No its an air raid intake, and the slop was only side to side, not front to back, im at jeepfest in jasper ga, and ive had several people look at it and say drag link

Top Bottom