Behind Dash Rattle...

trailless

Caught the Bug
A few months ago my Jeep started rattling behind the dash. At first it was faint and only during load around 2500-3000 rpm. Ever since, it's been getting worse and worse. Now it rattles from 1300 - 4000 rpm, even without load. It rattles on the highway while just cruising at 65mph...

The rattle is sounds like your shaking a small pebble inside an empty coke can. It's sounds like its coming from behind the glove box but I can't seem to pinpoint it.

I've checked all nuts and bolts and everything is tight. I've wedging a piece of rubber between what I assume are heater pipes behind the glove box. Nothing worked.

Today I rolled under the Jeep and started banging away and the only thing I can find is that my evap rattles. I don't know if that's the cause?

Anyone have any insight/ ideas?

Saharacon

Check around while you smack the dash it should bounce around enough for you to pin point it with your hearing. Lots of shit can cause this. Might even be.... a small pebble lol

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I have the same issue but mine is on the driver side. It sometimes drives me nuts because I can't find the cause.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Check the heat shields in the engine bay and on the exhaust moving under the vehicle from front to back. They can cause gremlin sounds when they start rattling.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Off topic, I was just under the jeep and I'm missing a transfer case skid bolt. The one that bolts to the crossmember. Anyone know what size that bolt is?

trailless

Caught the Bug
Check the heat shields in the engine bay and on the exhaust moving under the vehicle from front to back. They can cause gremlin sounds when they start rattling.

I checked around the exhaust and haven't found anything yet. I'll check the engine bay next.

thardy

Banned
I checked around the exhaust and haven't found anything yet. I'll check the engine bay next.

Based on where you're referring and without actually hearing it, sounds to me like it could be something with the heat shield around the passenger side cat.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Based on where you're referring and without actually hearing it, sounds to me like it could be something with the heat shield around the passenger side cat.

I'll check around there. On the ride home from work it got worse. Now it rattles with slight bumps on the interstate, no throttle... Hope a part doesn't go flying away!

Scrambler

I know this may not apply, but since we are spit balling here, I chased a similar, but not quite as intense sound, on my buddy's F250. Couldn't figure it out, so we decided to take a trip to the dealership. It ended up being a solenoid for the automatic climate control. It only happened once the engine got warm.

BlacknRedJK

For what it's worth, and it doesn't sound like it is based on the change in sound with RPM's we had the same issue with ours shortly after we bought it. Ended up being a loose bolt on the factory amp behind the panel below the steering wheel.

SaddleTramp

Look under the cowling piece in front of the windshield rear of the hood. I've had some rocks get in there before and have had the black plastic piece that holds the middle of the metal cowling in place rattle too. Used some double sided tape to secure it down and cushion the rattles. There have been a few threads about the AC hoses rattling in front of the firewall as well. Good luck, rattles bug the $*&t out of me.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
For what it's worth, and it doesn't sound like it is based on the change in sound with RPM's we had the same issue with ours shortly after we bought it. Ended up being a loose bolt on the factory amp behind the panel below the steering wheel.

That is exactly where my noise is coming from. Is this bolt hard to get to?

trailless

Caught the Bug
Wow I feel stupid...

From the beginning the rattle was on and off but it was getting worse. Then today it clicked. Whenever someone is in the front seat the rattle goes away, well at least for the most part.

I take a look under the seat and I see a loose plastic piece that holds the leather trim down.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441577680.555963.jpg

This is what it attaches too.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441577714.035714.jpg

This is where the rattle was coming from. The plastic trim was hitting the metal bracket.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441577732.695877.jpg

All I had to do was flip the plastic trim into place. Now it's rattle free!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441577800.941174.jpg

It was such a simple solution to a problem that was driving me crazy!

Top Bottom