New Yukon Gears

kentuckianajk

I had New gears installed in my 2014 JKUR.about 2 miles into our test drive with the mechanic we hear bearings grinding or maybe whinning
Then loud pop and clunking aounds from the front diff.We were in 2wd,, stop look underneath smell and see smoke from the front diff. Jeep now only wants to move in 4wd. We limp back to the shop pull the diff cover off oil and metal pour out. Does anyone know what may have caused the front diff to blow like this?

Attachments

• 1441452725352.jpg
    1441452725352.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 303
  • 1441452748635.jpg
    1441452748635.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 300

Sudz

that's bizarre, never seen anything like it and i've installed quite a few gear sets.

with that type of damage, it almost appears the ring & pinion aren't a matched ratio

report back what you find, i'm curious.

mackey

obviously, but that's a lot damage for only 2 miles on a new gear set while in 2WD. :thinking:

My buddy tried to install his own gears. His measurements were wrong. He went for an around the corner test drive and had the same problem. He had metal chunks in the pan after he removed his diff covers. Hopefully u used a shop and they will replace the gears.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you just installed new gears and heard a grinding noise, why would you continue to drive? Not very smart.

kentuckianajk

The mechanic that installed them was driving. Guess the was no worried about them being a little broke vs broke. It needed New gears by this point anyway .Should have seen his face when it blew.

kentuckianajk

With the new gears we had New ds intalled.
What is weird to me is we went 2miles max it blew and the oil was hot enough to be smoking,never went over 40.

mackey

The mechanic that installed them was driving. Guess the was no worried about them being a little broke vs broke. It needed New gears by this point anyway .Should have seen his face when it blew.

I am far from a mechanic. But I once saved money at Geico so now I'm an expert. :). I've always been told u need a dial indicator along with some other tools. If the measurements are wrong and the teeth aren't lined up correctly what happened to you will happen. What did the shop say was the cause? Will they replace and reinstall for free?

Sudz

did he check the gear pattern before he buttoned the diff back up?

GearPaste_zps6uuvbvf2.jpg

GearInfo2_zpshmyrbhih.gif

kentuckianajk

The guy that did them has 19 yrs experience.he and the other guys were all talking about how prefect and easy they went together. The patten was perfect. So Tuesday when Yukon is back from the holiday they will send pictures talk and come up with a answer to what went wrong.the whole shop was confused. All they did last night was open it up for a quick look. Yes they are going to do all the work for free and have offered to have our jeep shipped to us since its a 2nd drive to the shop.

Sudz

The guy that did them has 19 yrs experience.he and the other guys were all talking about how prefect and easy they went together. The patten was perfect. So Tuesday when Yukon is back from the holiday they will send pictures talk and come up with a answer to what went wrong.the whole shop was confused.
any update?

kentuckianajk

Gears went back to the manufacture today they will test them and try to figure out what caused them to fail should hear back in one week. New gears came in today and should be installed Thursday.

kentuckianajk

I hope I get this correct. What cause all the damage to the gears,the pinon bearing seized up and broke off causing all the damage.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Gears went back to the manufacture today they will test them and try to figure out what caused them to fail should hear back in one week. New gears came in today and should be installed Thursday.

good luck with that. i had set of youkons that were bad from the factory, again installed by a very accomlished technition, gears were set up ccorrectly, they told me to pound sand. mine too were only a mile if that of use. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442153078.638260.jpg as you can see on mine still had the gear set up grease on it. both sets front and rear were not hardened but youkon said it was installed wrong, interestingly enough installed a set of g2 gears from alloy, no issues, same guy set them up too.

kentuckianajk

Well I got lucky the shop that did my work sent them back and installed New gears at no cost to me. I have about 200 miles on the new gears no problems so far.

Top Bottom