Bump stop and shock mount question.

A.J.

Just checking my thinking.

Did my first real rock trail in the JKU yesterday. It was actually a real nice little shake down run for me. Got to looking over things this morning and can see a few changes I think would work a little better. Some more obvious than others.

Current set up:
4" Rancho sport kit ( came on jeep when I bought it )
Flat fenders and 2" bumps front and rear.
Bilstein 5160 shocks
37" G/Y wrangler tires
Wheels are 4.5 backspace 17x9 with 1.5 spacers
5.13 gears and zip lockers.
Artec truss with raised trac bar bracket LCA skids c gussets ( yeah d30 waste of $ I know )

I think/want to change the rear lower shock mounts and bump stops front and rear.
If I bottom the suspension hard in front the track bar bracket hits the frame and the little rubber rings on the shocks nearly bottom as well so I think I need a little more bump in front. Simple enough.
The rear is where I need some help. I have trimmed well enough that the rear tires barely touch at full stuff. The rear lower shock mounts hit rocks several times and really hang out there with the amount of backspace I have. The little rings on the rear shocks show that I have almost 2" of travel to bottom left. So I am thinking I can go to 3" bump in rear and add EVO rock star skids. Does this sound right and will I need spring retainers with the added droop?

Otherwise I am pretty happy how the jeep performed.

Yea 2" is not enough bump for a 4" kit. Another 1" up front should be close to the right amount. Adding an 1" more in the rear should let you run the rockstars just fine.

As far as spring retainers, idk. Depends on the free length of your springs and how long your shocks are... id flex it out aroubd the house to be sure.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Typically, you're supposed to run about as much bump stop extension as you have lift. Based on what you've said, your bump stops are about 2" too short.

A.J.

Typically, you're supposed to run about as much bump stop extension as you have lift. Based on what you've said, your bump stops are about 2" too short.

4" bumps seem like it might be too much. I want to keep as much up travel as I can. I think last time I measured my 4" lift is more like 3.5" so I guess I will try 3" bumps all around and rock stars for the rear. Also almost forgot I probably will need a new front driveline as well. Boot catches on the corner of the trans pan and I had to cut it off yesterday. Any recommendations? What a great weekend! We had a blast!

4" bumps seem like it might be too much. I want to keep as much up travel as I can. I think last time I measured my 4" lift is more like 3.5" so I guess I will try 3" bumps all around and rock stars for the rear. Also almost forgot I probably will need a new front driveline as well. Boot catches on the corner of the trans pan and I had to cut it off yesterday. Any recommendations? What a great weekend! We had a blast!
Je reel, coast, adams are all good shafts. You want the uptravel yes, but you also dont want your bar hitting the frame either.

A.J.

Je reel, coast, adams are all good shafts. You want the uptravel yes, but you also dont want your bar hitting the frame either.

Yes agreed. I drove it up on a rock while we were out again today and the bump stop touches first, but there is a little mark on the underside of the frame where the bracket hits it on a big bounce. I could probably trim down the top of the bracket just a bit as well, but I think the extra inch will be fine. As far as drive shaft, I usually get stuff from Northridge 4x4 since they are pretty close to me. 1 or 2 days at most to my door. Sounds like they should have what I need. Just send $ I guess. Lol! Again. Thanks!

Top Bottom