Synergy Drag Link falls/rotates forward after driving

bdubnit

Just a couple months ago I installed a synergy tie rod, Synergy drag link flip, Synergy Track Bar relocation bracket, and the Synergy Steering Stabilizer kit with the fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer. This is my first time doing something like this but i'd say everything went pretty smoothly.

All of the new components are doing great except for the drag link. After going for a drive or even just around the block, the drag link is completely rotated forward on the TRE's (Pic below).

I drilled the hole with 7/8" bit and used the tapered adapter that came with the kit. Installed the drag link with the TRE's flat and the bar flat like the instructions say. Today I tried to adjust it so that the bar was angled down a bit more while the TRE's were flat to see if that would help but it didn't seem to.

Any ideas how to correct this? or is it normal for the drag link to sit forward like that?

Other notable suspension/steering components - Rouch country 3.5" springs and N20 Shocks, Rough Country LCA (non adjustable), Synergy Ball joints

20150907_125515.jpg

CrazyLarry

Yes that is normal. It's the weight of the bar that is rotating the tie rod end down like that. The bar won't stop rotating down until the joint is maxed out. On mine the rod end on the pitman arm side is flexed down. In your pic your tie rod end on your tie rod is doing it as well. No big deal

CrazyLarry

Do not use those boots on the draglink. The draglink needs vertical misalignment the tie rod does not. Installing those boots on the draglink will cause major binding during articulation. I use the boots on my tie rod only to avoid tie rod flop cause I have hydro assist. If you don't have hydro assist you don't really gain anything with those boots

jeeeep

Hooked
Yeah don't use the misalignment boot which is why I mentioned there are 2 diffrent ones. The link I posted is for the drag link boot it still allows flex just not so much. Imo it helps keep the wear more even on the tre

Jk4lfe

Can you rotate that drag link up and down really easy? I have damn near the same set up and mine is so easy and flops around...and Im trying to find a popping noise when turning left and right under 30mph.

Cadima

FYI if anyone is interested because I see a lot of people complaining about this....My synergy drag link flopped too and problem or not, I just didn't like it. So on the adjustable end I threw on a jamb nut and tightened it after adjustments were complete. This locked the tie rod end to the rod and rendered it the same as any tie rod. No more flop, 2$ fix, wont wear out and wont trap mud and stuff in my rod end. Not sure why Synergy doesn't include a jamb nut from the get go.

CrazyLarry

FYI if anyone is interested because I see a lot of people complaining about this....My synergy drag link flopped too and problem or not, I just didn't like it. So on the adjustable end I threw on a jamb nut and tightened it after adjustments were complete. This locked the tie rod end to the rod and rendered it the same as any tie rod. No more flop, 2$ fix, wont wear out and wont trap mud and stuff in my rod end. Not sure why Synergy doesn't include a jamb nut from the get go.

Can you post pics?

Cadima

Isn't the drag link supposed to be able to move up and down?

Yes at the ball joints but Synergy's adjustable setup allows the threaded portion of the rod end where it enters the bar to spin as well and this extra degree of freedom allows more droop and movement than factory and most other drag links. It's a Synergy specific deal as far as I know.

Learo2000GT

Sorry to bring back from the dead an old post but I am getting ready to install my synergy drag link in the stock position and came across this thread. In the stock position there is a ton of flop and my drag link runs on the toe rod a bit. I have read this is normal but I hate the look and was woundering if using a second locknut like the post above is sound advise. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry to bring back from the dead an old post but I am getting ready to install my synergy drag link in the stock position and came across this thread. In the stock position there is a ton of flop and my drag link runs on the toe rod a bit. I have read this is normal but I hate the look and was woundering if using a second locknut like the post above is sound advise. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated

It's a ball and socket. It's supposed to do that. I don't see how a 2nd nut would change that. As far as rubbing the tie rod, I have hi steer knuckles and mine doesn't touch the tie rod.

jeeeep

Hooked

the synergy has more flop than normal, they make a misalignment boot that will cure it, IMO it works better than using a locknut as the misalignment boots are designed to address the extra flop

http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Jeep-JK-Low-Misalignment-TRE-Dust-Boots-p-30965.html

Top Bottom