Steering question

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I have a strange occurrence while making turns (shallow or sharp) where the jeep will steer fine then hit a spot in the turn where it seems like the steering wheel either slips or hangs up.. Once I turn through this point all is back to normal. It's hard to describe but I hope this is enough to maybe get some ideas. Everything is tight and I can't duplicate the problem while sitting still.

Tree Frog

Poss. bent steering stabilizer?

Put up on jackstands and lay under there while someone turns form side to side till you see the problem.

jedg

Could also be the track bar has a bad end and is binding. That is the symptom I was experiencing.

jedg

You got the feeling in the steering wheel from that?

Yep sure did. I had an RK track bar with a heim joint at the axle end. The joint went bad and it caused the steering to catch for just a second then keep going.

EDIT - I replaced it with an OEM track bar. No problems since.

Last edited:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Yep sure did. I had an RK track bar with a heim joint at the axle end. The joint went bad and it caused the steering to catch for just a second then keep going.

Hmm sweet hopefully that's it. Thanks!

Saharacon

I have noticed something similar. When you turn all the way to left or right it's like a Clunk?

I have a strong feeling my problem lies in the PoS steering box.

I have also heard bent track bars cause this but have never experienced it And my track bar isn't bent. Yet

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug

I got about 1/4in of movement back and forth on the helm joint. Should there be that much? It seems like it hangs up a little too. The bolt is good and solid, just maybe the joint has too much slop?

jedg

I got about 1/4in of movement back and forth on the helm joint. Should there be that much? It seems like it hangs up a little too. The bolt is good and solid, just maybe the joint has too much slop?

Nope. Shouldn't have that much movement. My money is on the track bar.

As WAL and others have said. The OEM track bar is sufficient and cheaper.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I have noticed something similar. When you turn all the way to left or right it's like a Clunk?

I have a strong feeling my problem lies in the PoS steering box.

I have also heard bent track bars cause this but have never experienced it And my track bar isn't bent. Yet

No it doesn't matter how far you turn it. It can be the slightest turn and the jeep tends to track in the direction of the turn for a brief second until the steering wheel catches again

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Nope. Shouldn't have that much movement. My money is on the track bar.

As WAL and others have said. The OEM track bar is sufficient and cheaper.

I don't have the oem bar anymore. I'll complain prices between the oem bar or a new joint. Thanks a bunch! Got a feelin you nailed it.

Top Bottom