Aluminum Bumpers

TwistedJK

I'm looking into adding an Evo 1/4 pounder in aluminum and some other aluminum bits on the jeep. Is there anything I need to do to protect the natural finish of these parts, such as some sort of clear coat? Or are they able to be bolted right up and left alone right off the truck? Living in Florida, I don't want the salt air destroying these.

TwistedJK

Anybody running aluminum armor/bumpers on their jeep would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Last edited:

utiadam

LOSER
I have a lot of bare aluminum on my jeep but I'm in Arizona. A lot of it has been on for almost a year now with no oxidation that I can see.
My lightbar mounts:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441776302.973616.jpg
Rear corners and fascia:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441776420.598847.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441776450.663135.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
If you polish the aluminum, you will always need to polish as it will dull. Same with coating. One you coat, you'll need to try to maintain and not have it yellow.

As for the EVO stuff. I've been running the rear aluminum facia right from the box for over a year and no issues.

GCM 2

I have a lot of bare aluminum on my jeep but I'm in Arizona. A lot of it has been on for almost a year now with no oxidation........]

Seems like yesterday when your JK was completely stock. It is certainly looking badass now brother!

seanb123

I have a lot of bare aluminum on my jeep but I'm in Arizona. A lot of it has been on for almost a year now with no oxidation that I can see.

Just noticed you had the kc version of the truck lites how are they? Have you been able to compare them to truck lites?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I just got my alum corners, and I do plan to paint them however I may rock them as is for a little while. I had the evo tramp stamp in alum and when I pulled it to paint it there was a little oxidization on the back and it was turning white, not sure if that was from where it bolted on or what tho. It was only on with rain, didnt see any salt over winter.

utiadam

LOSER
Seems like yesterday when your JK was completely stock. It is certainly looking badass now brother!

Yeah, it doesn't seem like its been that long. I think you might have been the first to comment on my build thread. It's definitely come a long ways
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441805346.942196.jpg

Just noticed you had the kc version of the truck lites how are they? Have you been able to compare them to truck lites?

They are definitely a big upgrade from stock but I have had several issues with them. They have already warrantied both harnesses twice as well as both light assemblies. Any more issues and I might be tempted to switch to JW speaker headlights.

Havoc40

Anybody thought about doing a clear anodize after polishing, if you're wanting the bare aluminum look? Usually, anodizing is around the same cost as powder coating.

Mike Chapman

I have no experience with Aluminum on the JK's... But I have spent hours polishing Aluminum on Pontoon boats... Which see a lot of water (Surprisingly).. If you really wanted to polish and/or coat your Aluminum I'd look at a few websites that deal with polish for pontoons... Some of that stuff is amazing... but a lot of work to do the first time.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You can run aluminum bare and you'll be fine, but, IF you drive your rig anywhere with salt/calcium chloride on the roads, it will turn your part into a nasty pitted mess that is damn near impossible to get rid of.

GCM 2

I have no experience with Aluminum on the JK's... But I have spent hours polishing Aluminum on Pontoon boats... Which see a lot of water (Surprisingly).. If you really wanted to polish and/or coat your Aluminum I'd look at a few websites that deal with polish for pontoons... Some of that stuff is amazing... but a lot of work to do the first time.

I have used this for close to 20 years on the aluminum and stainless on practically every one of my race cars and now I use it to keep my Jeeps billet Envy Link control arms and King Bypass shocks nice and clean. It will polish the surface exactly as advertised "....to a mirror bright finish". So cautioned should be used if you are not going for a polished appearance.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441816741.012829.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441816794.010270.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441816851.313971.jpg

utiadam

LOSER
I have used this for close to 20 years on the aluminum and stainless on practically every one of my race cars and now I use it to keep my Jeeps billet Envy Link control arms and King Bypass shocks nice and clean. It will polish the surface exactly as advertised "....to a mirror bright finish". So cautioned should be used if you are not going for a polished appearance.

View attachment 164208

View attachment 164209

View attachment 164210

Nice!! I've seen your detailing pictures before and was curious on what you used. Next time you're in town I'll have to swing by for a tutorial, lol.

GCM 2

Nice!! I've seen your detailing pictures before and was curious on what you used. Next time you're in town I'll have to swing by for a tutorial, lol.

I have actually never been able to find that polish in a store. I have always had to order it, fortunately you never need very much to do the job. I think I have had this can of for close to 8 years. The jeep doesn't need much at all, but my Superformance Cobra's wheels and sidepipes used to take a bit more. The entire motor was chrome so that barely needed any. I miss the car, don't miss detailing it.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441818259.957212.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441818330.247775.jpg

utiadam

LOSER
I have actually never been able to find that polish in a store. I have always had to order it, fortunately you never need very much to do the job. I think I have had this can of for close to 8 years. The jeep doesn't need much at all, but my Superformance Cobra's wheels and sidepipes used to take a bit more. The entire motor was chrome so that barely needed any. I miss the car, don't miss detailing it.

View attachment 164212

View attachment 164213

Awesome! I'll search Amazon for it. Do you disassemble the coilovers and do the shock bodies with it? Maybe I could do that like once a year or something.

TwistedJK

View attachment 164208

View attachment 164209

View attachment 164210

That looks great!! I'll have to order some.

Top Bottom