Jeep Testing Spy Shots

Wardell

I noticed this photo gallery posted over at Autoevolution that they claim to be spy shots of the new JL being tested somewhere in the southwestern desert:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length-99641.html

Honestly, I have my doubts that it's a JL. It looks an awful lot like a JK, though apparently the rumour from the dealer showing in Las Vegas was that it does look very close to the same. That said, I did notice a few changes. I get more of the feeling that it's a modified JK being used for engine testing, and not actually a JL. With that in mind, the reason I'm posting these here is that some of you with keen eyes might be able to pick out a few of its features that I didn't spot, which might give clues to what will be on the final model.

From the front, at a glance there doesn't seem to be much different about it. That said, they've tried to hide what appears to be a stock JK grille. They're probably doing that to hide the engine behind it. Same fold down windshield and removable top though, which were rumoured to be gone.

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-testing-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length_2.jpg

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-testing-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length_10.jpg

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-testing-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length_13.jpg

From the sides, it looks like they have extended the cowl between the hood and windshield about an inch or two. This is probably to fit a larger engine or the new 8 speed auto transmission. That said, the somewhat crude way it was extended makes me think it's a modified JK being used as an engine test bed, and not the prototype JL. Either way, it does make me wonder what's under there. Also, do the fender flares look extended as well?

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-testing-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length_15.jpg

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-testing-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length_7.jpg

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-testing-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length_11.jpg

From the rear, the exhaust and suspension looks pretty much the same, but you can really see a giant, low hanging fuel tank. It doesn't appear to have a skid plate either. Again, I'm thinking that isn't a prototype tank, and was just installed for the engine testing.

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-testing-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length_18.jpg

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-testing-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length_19.jpg

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-spied-testing-in-the-desert-will-grow-in-length_21.jpg

Thoughts? My real question is, what's under the hood? Hope it's a diesel!

Unknown

Mmm, not sure, has manufacturer plates so in test mode? Tank is probably a long range, for testing purposes

t8er

It's a power train testing vehicle so they'll use the old body but all new engine, trans etc. that could be the new fuel tank underneath just it doesn't fit right.

Zstairlessone

Not to hijack, but why does everyone call it the JL? They went from CJ to YJ to TJ to JK, not sure I see a JL in that progression.....

Heholua

Honestly, I don't see how they will fit the new diesel with an 8 speed transmission and a transfer case in a 2 door. I have the Ram 1500 eco diesel truck for a company rig and only see this configuration fitting the 4 door.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great find!! Thanks for posting this up. By the look of things, I'd have to guess that FCA is just doing engine/transmission testing on a JK. Still, I'm excited to see any pics of what the new JL will look like :thumb:

CarolinaDozer

Great find!! Thanks for posting this up. By the look of things, I'd have to guess that FCA is just doing engine/transmission testing on a JK. Still, I'm excited to see any pics of what the new JL will look like :thumb:

They are, my buddy works for them. They are retaining the pentastar 3.6 but an upgraded version more hp and more mpg from what I was told. He was impressed by the pick up over the jk

geberhard

Douchebag
It is just the angle and light on that shot, you can see the pumpkin on this shot better:

attachment.php

But for a moment I was like WTF IRS!!!???

mattyice

It is just the angle and light on that shot, you can see the pumpkin on this shot better:

attachment.php

But for a moment I was like WTF IRS!!!???

oh my god!! i didn't even notice that and now looking at it you can barely see that pumpkin and it so looks like an independent rear suspension!!!

Top Bottom