RK Track bar jam nuts

JakeJK

Just realized my jam nuts aren't tight on my track bar while I was going through checking torques, how do I go about tightening them? Is it supposed to be don't before or after installing it? Better question is do I have to take it off to tighten it? It looks like it would be hard to hit with a wrench. Also my joint isn't sitting per RKs suggestion ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441763506.854606.jpg

Not the best pic

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
To me, in that pic, it doesnt look like you have enough room to tighten the bar in place so I would recommend pulling it out.

JakeJK

shouldn't be to had just make sure you are holding the joint so it doesn't spin a little when getting the jam nut snug.

I was thinking it may be easier to just undo 1 side at a time rather than removing the whole thing, would it?

BlueBox

I bought a few large box wrenches to match my RK jam juts on the track bars, control arms, etc. Better clearance than a crescent or pipe wrench and you get a good bit on it. Not able to actually torque them, but at the specs they call for I just give it all I can. Still have to disconnect the track bar as previously mentioned. Amazon had 'em for like 10 bucks each or around there.

JakeJK

I bought a few large box wrenches to match my RK jam juts on the track bars, control arms, etc. Better clearance than a crescent or pipe wrench and you get a good bit on it. Not able to actually torque them, but at the specs they call for I just give it all I can. Still have to disconnect the track bar as previously mentioned. Amazon had 'em for like 10 bucks each or around there.

I've got the correct size box wrench thanks to my granddads extensive tool supply haha I'll try that

JakeJK

Okay guys well I pulled the track bar and tried my darnedest to tighten those jam nuts as much as I could, while I had it on the ground I tried to tighten it as much as I could, then I reinstalled one end and used the bolt as something to keep it from rotating on me so I could get it tightened down more, then did the same with the other side. Will this suffice or is there a way for me to actually check my torque on these things?

BlueBox

Give 'er hell and call it good I say.

Get a paint stick and mark the nut/track bar. Easy visual inspection to verify its staying.

Top Bottom