2in OME vs EVO leveling springs and Rancho shocks

Lone Star

Which would be a better combo for JKUR with flat fenders and 35" Trail grapplers. Probably add a 1.25" BL and MML as well. 2" OME ( they say this actually nets closer to 3" or more lift) vs Evo 2" leveling springs with Rancho shocks. Or are their better options that are not too pricey. Eventually i'd probably go with 3" enforcer and 37's but that will be a couple of years down the road, as far as the price point. I'd rather Spend the money getting everything else first. Such as bumpers, winch, regear, roof rack, tire carrier, beefier axle shafts and then work on the rest of the stuff needed for the larger lift and 37's.This way i'll be able to play a lot sooner as it will take me a while to get the bigger stuff done due to limited funds going towards the jeep. Any ideas?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I've heard good things about the EVO leveling kit. If you are just trying to get 35s under it until you can go with a complete lift, you may want to consider a BB. They are affordable, do not change the ride quality from stock, and will fit 35s, especially with your flat fenders. Depending on the type of ride you like and the springs you are looking at, I can tell you that the OME HD springs are pretty stiff. I personally prefer a softer ride. I have no experience with their other springs though. Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with!

Lone Star

Thanks. Id like to go with new springs and shocks rather than spacers. As it will be a semi permanent lift as im not sure when i would be able to upgrade to a complete lift. I like a softer ride as well. Ive heard great things on both and just wondered if anyone else had experience with either and what would be better for the money. Hopefully early spring ill finally be able to get my jeep. Im too excited to not be curious and start planning. But when i do ill definitely be asking a lot more questions and keep things updated!

TLC Offroad

I just installed the EVO Level Kit about 3 weeks ago, the ride is better then stock and it does lift the front up much higher then it was stock. I only have the stock Rubi tires and rims & shocks on it still so I'm not sure how 35 would fit yet. Mine is temp until spring time then I'm going with the EVO Enforcer lift .

The OME springs are in the middle of the range on firmness. More then the EVOs (softest I've ridden in). but not as bad as the firm springs (Teraflex/Rock Krawler). The OME springs are short so you may need to retain them if you are setting up for big droop. This would be the same with the EVO leveling kit in the rear.

As far as shocks go what Rancho ones are you considering? I've used the RS5000 and RS9000XL. If I had to choose I would go with the 9000s for the adjust-ability. The OME shocks are great, but are soft as they are intended to be paired with a firmer spring.

IMO, the idea of a nice soft ride is great until you go around a corner and the whole Jeep leans. For this reason I prefer a firm(er) spring rate and soft shock combo. This is just my preference though and I'm sure others will think differently.

No matter what coil/shock you go with, I would highly recommend avoiding a body lift. It isn't 1980 anymore :grayno:;)

RedDawg01

I have the EVO kit and Rancho 9000s on stock wheels and tires and love the setup. It's holding me over for the 3" Enforcer as well. Debating on cutting my fenders and rock rails to fit 35s or live with it and wait for 37s with the 3".

The body lift is more for prep for a good tummy tuck

I'm a bit confused by this.... There really isn't a tummy-tuck for a JK. The gas tank runs down the side and can't really be lifted. The tank would need to be relocated to the rear (Genright has a nice one for this). But it is costly and hardly worth it if you put that money into a better lift.

Sounds like you might be getting advice from some old TJ/YJ guys.

Lone Star

I'm a bit confused by this.... There really isn't a tummy-tuck for a JK. The gas tank runs down the side and can't really be lifted. The tank would need to be relocated to the rear (Genright has a nice one for this). But it is costly and hardly worth it if you put that money into a better lift.

Sounds like you might be getting advice from some old TJ/YJ guys.

Oh ok. Yea i had originally been researching getting a tj and it evolved to a jku for family purposes. I guess i just carried that info along with me. Thats really good info to know. Thanks!

ITLL GO

Don't have any experience with the OME on a JK, however I have used them in the past and they are quality products. I have the EVO leveling kit on my JKUR with stock rubicon rear springs and Rubi shocks all around with cut fenders. Unless you are in need of new shocks, you should be fine with stock. I have 35" Nitto TG as well. No rubbing until max flex. The ride is much better then stock and handles better then before in corners IMO. I would recommend larger back spacing on your wheels or wheel spacers with kit. I measured 2" in front with bumper and no winch and 3/4 in rear of net gain. Good luck! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441980116.940819.jpg

mds22

Don't have any experience with the OME on a JK, however I have used them in the past and they are quality products. I have the EVO leveling kit on my JKUR with stock rubicon rear springs and Rubi shocks all around with cut fenders. Unless you are in need of new shocks, you should be fine with stock. I have 35" Nitto TG as well. No rubbing until max flex. The ride is much better then stock and handles better then before in corners IMO. I would recommend larger back spacing on your wheels or wheel spacers with kit. I measured 2" in front with bumper and no winch and 3/4 in rear of net gain. Good luck! View attachment 164418

Where do you rub at full flex? Front or rear? Is your Rubi rail trimmed? Doesn't look like it in the photo. Just trying to get more info on this exact set up before I mount my 35s. Thanks

ITLL GO

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441982871.249423.jpg
Yeah, my rails are cut and capped, kinda a weird photo for Shawdow. The rubbing is just ever so slightly on the rear wheel seam. Just notice a little of my black paint rubbed off on flex. And most of the rubbing is from the stock rear bumper. It's not bad at all, just a little. These springs want to flex so badly!

mds22

View attachment 164421
Yeah, my rails are cut and capped, kinda a weird photo for Shawdow. The rubbing is just ever so slightly on the rear wheel seam. Just notice a little of my black paint rubbed off on flex. And most of the rubbing is from the stock rear bumper. It's not bad at all, just a little. These springs want to flex so badly!

Good info!!! Thank you for replying!

Petzl88

I've got the 2" EVO leveling springs with 0.5" coil spacers on top of them in the front and 2" Teraflex coil spacers in the rear. 285-70-17 Duratracs. The tires are 33".

The EVO springs netted me 2.5" in the front.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442019264.690414.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442019283.558029.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442019295.192563.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442019307.741232.jpg

I added Rancho 9000 shocks, 4" lift in the front and 3" lift in the rear.

When I upgrade to 35s I'm going to trim the fenders front and rear and I will be good.

el_chupo_

Lone Star - Missed your intro thread, but welcome from another resident in Johnson County!

I debated for a while between the Evo leveling kit and Rancho 9000 shocks, and getting the Rancho 2" sport lift, as they both offer the same lift, with the Rancho kit coming with bump stops up front, and extended brake link brackets. I too intend on going to a bigger lift with 37s, but that will come down the road. My alignment is a little off with the lift, so I may step into some lower control arms in the future to get it better, but it drover well on the trip (and around town) without them.

I am pretty happy with the Rancho lift, though if I were doing it again I would order the 2 door kit for the taller rear spacer (and I will probably order a taller spacer for the rear eventually). The 4 door kit has a 3/4" spacer, 2 door version has 1 3/4" rear spacer. With the extra weight of the bigger tire/wheel it wasnt too bad, but with the extra 100+lbs from the LOD rear bumper, I think I want it a little taller in the back.

Went to Colorado last week, and before we left I trimmed my rear fenders as they looked like they would rub, but I didnt have time to trim the fronts. Turns out, the fronts just got into my fenders going down Black Bear a little bit, but no rubbing anywhere else (315/70/17 Duratracs). Maybe Sunday I will get those trimmed, but maybe not...

I believe the Rancho 2" kit can be found for around $450-500 right now with the 9000 series shocks, and about $250-300 for the 5000 series shocks.
With "Shocktober" going on, I think you will spend around $275 for a set of shocks, so the cost is pretty close.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?25677-I-guess-its-time
Build thread is not updated with some changes yet, that will come soon enough. But as mentioned, the tummy tuck isnt a thing for JK, but in the thread I also have some pics of the Evo skid plate system, you can see how little is hanging down under there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom