Rear gear issues

t8er

Ok. My jeep is back in the shop for the second time in 3 months for the rear gears. The first set lasted 3000 miles before it spit out a rear tooth. The second set has metal shavings in the gears and 4 ring gear bolts came out. One of them got caught between the carrier and the housing locking up the rear end. I've done proper break ins both times and had the shop inspect them after break in and replace the fluids. Can anyone give me insight to what could be wrong. Trying to figure out if I should be looking for bent axles, housing etc. thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You had 4 ring gear bolts come out? Honestly, it sounds to me like your problem might be the shop you're using.

WJCO

Meme King
Yep. Sounds like improper repair. I always use red locktite. And double check all ring bolts for proper torque. VERY abnormal to have four bolts come loose, let alone even 1.

t8er

You had 4 ring gear bolts come out? Honestly, it sounds to me like your problem might be the shop you're using.

Yeah. The first set we couldn't figure out because we did check pattern and it was still good. This is 100% on them I'm just concerned if something else could have caused it. Supposedly me center section is ok but the gears are trashed so another set is going on.

Would you mind PMing me which shop you used so I can avoid it? Haha

It's Edge Automotive in Englewood. I get along great with the owner but I'm starting to think I should've driven an hour north to Northridge.

WJCO

Meme King
The only thing that can cause a bolt to come loose is improper torque/installation or a broken bolt from the metal in the bolt itself. If there were something wrong with the threads in the ring gear and the bolts weren't holding, the tech would/should have noticed that immediately. Now if there is something else going on with the pattern, etc, there are a number of things that can cause that, but the bolts coming loose really is from an improper repair most likely. If you have any of the bolts in your possession, take a look at the threads for cross-threading, etc.

Jk909

Yeah. The first set we couldn't figure out because we did check pattern and it was still good. This is 100% on them I'm just concerned if something else could have caused it. Supposedly me center section is ok but the gears are trashed so another set is going on.

It's Edge Automotive in Englewood. I get along great with the owner but I'm starting to think I should've driven an hour north to Northridge.

Or trail jeeps!

Top Bottom