ESP/BAS malfunction

Clark Collins

After a wheelin trip on labor day my ESP/BAS indicator light and also the ESP graphic that lights up when you turn the ESP off both stayed on. The next day they were off, but now they've come back on to stay. I have a superchips tuner so I read the DTCs today and had a C123F (Steering angle sensor comparative performance) code. I then tried to clear the code, but it wouldn't clear. I checked to see if my steering wheel had gotten off center and adjusted it a bit, but the lights won't go away. I even drove it around a little in case it takes a bit for the codes to clear. I also had the "small leak in Evap canister" but that code did clear.

Has anyone had this issue and know what to do to fix it?

Shouldn't the Superchips tuner clear the code?

Of course it says in the owners manual to take it do a dealer, but I would rather take care of it myself if I can.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
The airbag light is not on. I just had the clockspring replaced last spring because the airbag light was on.

I had this issue. Someone in an earlier thread about this suggested to check your abs wires leading to the front calipers. I checked mine and a wire was being pinched by the knuckle. Freed it up and haven't had an issue since.

Clark Collins

I had this issue. Someone in an earlier thread about this suggested to check your abs wires leading to the front calipers. I checked mine and a wire was being pinched by the knuckle. Freed it up and haven't had an issue since.
Thanks for your response. I assume you are referring to the speed senser wires. I checked them out and checked the rear ones too while I was at it. They all looked OK and weren't being pinched or anything. Anyone else have any suggestions.

WJCO

Meme King
The system is super sensitive, especially when wheeling or modifying a vehicle. I've seen minor tire pressure adjustment cause the issue and as another poster suggested, the clocksping cause it (but you've replaced that recently). Being that it went off once and came back, it is possible it's not a hard code and is intermittent. I would seriously go to a car wash, spray the inside of the front wheels good. If that doesn't do that, disconnect the battery cables and touch them together for about 10 seconds to allow a system re-learn. Then try again. If the lights are still on, you probably need to take it in. If your superchips tuner has a code-clearing option, that should work to clear the code though.

Tee

If you bent a tie rod or something knocking the steering wheel off center you will kick a code for steering angle sensor.

Clark Collins

Yesterday I recentered the steering wheel, that was just barely off to the driver side. The warning lights stayed on. I then checked the wires going to all four speed sensors and they looked fine. The lights stayed on and I drove the Jeep around a bit. This morning when I started the Jeep the warning lights went off, just like they are supposed to. I will post back to this thread after having the codes read at O'Rielys of they come back on

Pixel

Probably a silly question but have you checked the fuse for it?

J6 - 40 Amp Green (on the 2007's at least)
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Pump/ESP

I had a similar problem after a Unit Bearing failed on me. Even if it doesn't look bad pull it out and re-seat it. Seems silly but I have had my Ignition Off Draw (IOD) come unseated after camping one weekend and all kinds of odd electrical issues happened until I checked that fuse out.

jknikos

Check your wheel bearings. If they have some play this will affect the speed sensor and cause your problem. Ita has happened to me twice and it was bad wheel bearing.

Clark Collins

Check your wheel bearings. If they have some play this will affect the speed sensor and cause your problem. Ita has happened to me twice and it was bad wheel bearing.
If the issue pops up again I'll check that. Good to know that can cause the problem.

Top Bottom