Converting The Third Brake Light Into a Back Up Light

tonytony9

Hey Forums,

Been awhile since I posted on here. Leaving for school I have been without the Jk for awhile now :mad: but keep thinking of mods I would love to do when I get back home.

I was considering converting the Third Brake Light (One above the tire carrier) into some sort of backup light. I already have a "Third Light" which acts as a brake light, blinker, and hazard in the center of my tire carrier on my license plate brake (ORO Light for the Rock Hard License Plate Relocation Bracket). Mainly I want to do this because in the dark I can almost see absolutely nothing behind me (I have backed into things) and also I think it would look pretty cool.

Has anyone done this before? If I can buy some sort of light to put directly into the bracket with a clear lens and re-wire it to one of my tail lights that would be sick. Or an entire new assembly could work (don't want to spend a fortune). Let me know your guys ideas!

WJCO

Meme King
I'm sure you could do a lot of things but most likely custom. It may be trickier to find an exact conversion made for your vehicle due to the 'legality' of the 3rd brake light laws in a lot of states (even though you have alleviated that with your current setup on your tire). One thing I would recommend though, and it may cost some more money, get quality lights, look at reviews or talk to others that have certain lights to see what works and doesn't. I've had some cheap LEDs along with others I know, and for backing up, they don't work at all hardly. Wish I had spent the money up front and done it right. Get something that will work for your intended purpose. And make sure if you modify your current housing that it is waterproof as well.

jango

Check out amazon or ebay for some single row 6" cree led bars. Ive seen quite a few people buy them and they are alright. If youre looking for a quality light, go rigid all the way. I was given two 3" pro comp led bars that i made a bracket for in the back and have it on a switch. DSC_0440_zpsb046107e.jpg

tonytony9

Check out amazon or ebay for some single row 6" cree led bars. Ive seen quite a few people buy them and they are alright. If youre looking for a quality light, go rigid all the way. I was given two 3" pro comp led bars that i made a bracket for in the back and have it on a switch. View attachment 165032

Love the look of that. But thank you for the suggestion.

Top Bottom