Pro rock 44 and double d pro

munstie

About a month away from pulling the trigger on a new setup, I guess my question is do I send the Jeep to O.R.E., or do the install myself. Or just do the double throw down front and double d rear until I do the lever?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would install the pr44 and the long arm yourself. Never hurts to get that experience.

munstie

Already have that experience, just worried about location and welding of the brackets if I go double throwdown

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not sure I would drive to ore from Illinois. (Are you in Arizona or did that not happen)

There is probably a shop closer to you that is an EVO dealer that would know how to install it.

jeeper52

LOSER
Man i go back and forth on this one. I personally went with the dtd front and rear and did the majority of the install/prep myself. Everything came out nice except the front shock tabs. They were installed to far foward and i didn't leave enough room for swaybar tabs so northridge had to cut them off and redo them. Everything else self locates and can only go on one way. I wasn't comfortable welding so i hired that portion out. I can honestly say the dtd is more than what i need but its nice to be able to grow into something without having to tear it down and redo it after a couple years. Bottom line,If you have the finances have it installed by a professional to prevent all the heaaches and confusion. If finances are a issue allow yourself a tone of time and tackle it yourself and have a shop double check your work. Knowing what i know now if i didn't have the miney to have it installed i would probably go with the bolt on coilovers. Prep the surfaces as you go removing all the paint where the brackets meet the frame and then have a professional welder weld everything so you dont have to rely on just bolts. Just my opinion take it for what its worth. Hope this helps.

munstie

Not sure I would drive to ore from Illinois. (Are you in Arizona or did that not happen)

There is probably a shop closer to you that is an EVO dealer that would know how to install it.

Didn't happen still stuck in Illinois, was thinking road trip out and fly back,making pit stops in Oklahoma and Arizona to visit friends. Honestly I don't have a lot of faith in the couple of shops I know of and have seen work from out here

metalic

Didn't happen still stuck in Illinois, was thinking road trip out and fly back,making pit stops in Oklahoma and Arizona to visit friends. Honestly I don't have a lot of faith in the couple of shops I know of and have seen work from out here

Where in illinois you located?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You know, a lot of guys ship their Jeep to ORE. If anything, I might do that and then fly out to pick it up and make your stops along the way. :yup:

munstie

Just have to figure which setup I'm going to go with,haven't contacted ORE yet but I figure they can walk me thru the best setup for me, gotta see how far the money is going to go as well. But I do have a decent chunk of change to throw into it .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be clear, the "Double D" is a long arm kit and the "Double Throw Down" or DTD is the coil over kit with bypass shocks. They are two separate things. Depending on what you're wanting to do, it might make more sense to install the Double D long arm kit and get the DTD front towers and rear EVO lever but run it with single coil overs only. When you can afford it, add in the bypass shocks later. Leaving them out for now will save you a lot of money and installing them later will require no modifications - just bolt them in.

munstie

That's what I was curious if it could be setup that way and possibly add later I'm trying to get rid of these damn radius arms;). Was going to order the Rubicon four link kit pieces that I need to switch to 4 link but then I'm still stuck with there bushings. Unlike a lot of people I will admit I am not happy with the lift kit that I initially purchased.

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
To be clear, the "Double D" is a long arm kit and the "Double Throw Down" or DTD is the coil over kit with bypass shocks. They are two separate things. Depending on what you're wanting to do, it might make more sense to install the Double D long arm kit and get the DTD front towers and rear EVO lever but run it with single coil overs only. When you can afford it, add in the bypass shocks later. Leaving them out for now will save you a lot of money and installing them later will require no modifications - just bolt them in.

In that DTD setup with only a single coilover up front, the bumpstop is deleted correct? How rough is the bottom end of travel without the bumpstop. I'm kicking around this idea, but not sure I like not having a BS.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
In that DTD setup with only a single coilover up front, the bumpstop is deleted correct? How rough is the bottom end of travel without the bumpstop. I'm kicking around this idea, but not sure I like not having a BS.

I ran the DTD minus bypass configuration for about a year. I did have the rear air bumps. To me it was a probably a bit softer than the bolt on setup but I had not issues the stopped the show. If pushing hard (read too fast) the rear would rely on the air bumps quite a bit especially with any load.

Let me know if you have more questions.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I ran the DTD minus bypass configuration for about a year. I did have the rear air bumps. To me it was a probably a bit softer than the bolt on setup but I had not issues the stopped the show. If pushing hard (read too fast) the rear would rely on the air bumps quite a bit especially with any load.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks for the feedback. But just so I understand, no bumpstops were in the front right?

Were you running the lever setup in the rear with the single coilover as well?

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the feedback. But just so I understand, no bumpstops were in the front right?

Were you running the lever setup in the rear with the single coilover as well?

Correct, no bump stops were in the front. The King coil overs do have a I think it's 3/4" integral rubber bump on the shaft.

In the rear was the Evo Cantilever with coilovers only. The rear is where you will run through first as the coilovers are shorter stroke. This is why we did go ahead at the time and run rear air bumps which I would suggest for anyone going DTD minus the bypass.

Even with the bypasses now I think the air bumps are valuable in the system.

munstie

If a guy was to go with the double d pro setup is there a difference in the length on the coil overs or would you be able to incorporate those at a later time into the dtd setup

munstie

After talking with Mel I believe I am going to go with the DD pro kit and order a pro rock 44. This should be more than sufficient for the wheeling i do.Goodbye radius arms. One of his questions to me was how many bushings I have gone thru lol.

Top Bottom