Help for the new guy

Helipilot2

Hey guys as you all know I have a 97 Cherokee. I am looking at buying a Wrangler but don't know what to look for. I have found some good deals on wranglers from 99-2004 with around 90k miles for about $2,000. Suggestions and facts appreciated, will be my first true jeep

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys as you all know I have a 97 Cherokee. I am looking at buying a Wrangler but don't know what to look for. I have found some good deals on wranglers from 99-2004 with around 90k miles for about $2,000. Suggestions and facts appreciated, will be my first true jeep

If you're looking for a manual, try to get a 2000-up Sport. That'll have the 4.0L I-6, NV3550 transmission and Dana 44 rear axle. If you're looking for an auto, try finding a 2003-up as it will have the 4 speed. Of course, if you can get one in a Rubicon, that would be optimal and not just for the lockers and Dana 44 front axle.

ichthus

If you're finding TJ's with under 100k miles for about $2000, and they run and aren't stolen or a Craigslist scam, buy them...doesn't even matter what the options or drivetrain might be. If you are unhappy, I'll come buy them from you and drive 'em back to Indiana to sell them for $8k a piece.

The Sahara was (and is) the higher optioned model of Wrangler. In a TJ that meant you got a 4.0, AC, cruise, and better seats. The Rubicon adds Better axles, lockers, 4:1 transfer case rocker protection etc...but usually costs more too. If you find an SE, X, Sport or Sahara for $2k, the savings can buy you mods to out-perform a stock Rubicon.

Helipilot2

Ok great I really appreciate the info, I'm gonna keep browsing and see what I can turn up! In Salt Lake now doing my interview tomorrow so wish me luck everyone!

Helipilot2

Thanks. I just called my uncle who has an old CJ5 with a rebuilt 304 V8 that has 2k miles, new: tranny, 8klb winch, soft top, bikini top, and tires all the way around. Said I could have it for $4000. I might do that

RamP

That would be sweet. You should know that the old CJ's , while really cool , can be a bear to drive as a daily. They by no way have the comfort features found even in a YJ. And are a very unforgiving ride. That being said I loved my 86 CJ7, just want to let you know what you could be getting into.

Helipilot2

Well that's good to know considering it will be a daily driver. Hmmm this is a pain lol. I don't really want to put another $3-4000 into my Cherokee to make it drive able again

Top Bottom