Offroad Heroes Soft Top - Any Experience?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Just found an old thread about this here: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?9783-Cargo-top-by-Off-Road-Heroes

Just looking to see if anyone has or has seen this top in person. The fastback design looks a lot like the Bestop. Their website also claims they use the same "heavy duty" fabric that Chrysler uses, but I don't know if that translates to the standard top fabric or the premium twill. If it's similar to the premium twill, then the cost of this top seems like a good bargain.

slantback03.jpg slantback14.jpg slantback22.jpg

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

tsweet

Just looking to see if anyone has or has seen this top in person. The fastback design looks a lot like the Bestop. Their website also claims they use the same "heavy duty" fabric that Chrysler uses, but I don't know if that translates to the standard top fabric or the premium twill. If it's similar to the premium twill, then the cost of this top seems like a good bargain.

View attachment 165175 View attachment 165176 View attachment 165177

Any feedback is appreciated.

I have one still in the box in my garage. Have yet to muster up the motivation to put it on. Maybe this weekend. If I do I will let you know how it goes, etc.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'd think long and hard about sending any money to that company. I believe the list of complaints is about a mile long and at one point the Canadian company was even banned from using eBay in the U.S.

tsweet

I'd think long and hard about sending any money to that company. I believe the list of complaints is about a mile long and at one point the Canadian company was even banned from using eBay in the U.S.

I hear you. I ordered mine in January knowing all of the complaints and I just kind of rolled the dice. It finally showed up in late March after many phone calls and promises. But ultimately it did show up.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I hear you. I ordered mine in January knowing all of the complaints and I just kind of rolled the dice. It finally showed up in late March after many phone calls and promises. But ultimately it did show up.

Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones. That kind of shit doesn't fly with me. The guy is clearly taking money and sitting on it until he has enough to make a batch of tops. That means you could end up waiting many, many months before he can afford to make a batch. Even worse, you may end up NEVER getting a top.

It's a shame too, because I actually like the design and looks of the tops.

ORH reminds me a lot of Benchmark Designs. They came up with some interesting products but just couldn't swing it on the production side and ultimately folded up with a lot of pissed off customers who had prepaid for promises that were never delivered.

akershner

I too read all of the complaints, most of what I saw referenced the long wait times for the top to be delivered and the little to no communication from the company. All things considered, I decided to go with the fastback 3 years ago and can honestly say that I friggin love this thing. From what I understand, the company is a one man shop and it took mine about 3 months to be delivered. Not an issue for me as I live in MN and ordered in December when they traditionally run a deep discount. The frameless design is awesome and the build quality is excellent IMHO. With no frame you can basically roll the thing up and stash it in the back in 5 minutes. The install directions were ridiculously lacking, figuring things out took me about 2 hours or so.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I have one still in the box in my garage. Have yet to muster up the motivation to put it on. Maybe this weekend. If I do I will let you know how it goes, etc.

Yeah, that'd be great if you could let me know what you think.

Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones. That kind of shit doesn't fly with me. The guy is clearly taking money and sitting on it until he has enough to make a batch of tops. That means you could end up waiting many, many months before he can afford to make a batch. Even worse, you may end up NEVER getting a top.

It's a shame too, because I actually like the design and looks of the tops.

ORH reminds me a lot of Benchmark Designs. They came up with some interesting products but just couldn't swing it on the production side and ultimately folded up with a lot of pissed off customers who had prepaid for promises that were never delivered.

I'm with you Sharkey. I can respect a one-man-shop who may take a little time to deliver his product to you, but that can't come at the expense of paying in full up-front and borderline harrassment required to get any communication from him. I'm glad we have guys like you here in the forum that can help inform other members of questionable products / business practices. :thumb:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
No worries. Here is another huge red flag for me. When your company has pissed so many people off that you have to change the company's name to try to hide from people (e.g. ORH website is now called California tops), there is something going on that deserves further investigation.

Last edited:

matt1171

I have the top and love it. The quality and the way it works was worth the wait. These things are hand sewn and not mass produced in a factory.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442431129.774027.jpg

Scrambler

No worries. Here is another huge red flag for me. When your company has pissed so many people off that you have to change the company's name to try to hide from people (e.g. ORH website is not called California tops), there is something going on that deserves further investigation.

I was wondering why these showed up under California Tops. Contact info is a PO Box in Canada. I'm confused and a little sketch about this operation.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
My neighbor has one and he can't get it on by himself. Total PITA to get on. Usually takes both of us over an hour to get on and we've put it on and off several times over the last three years.

It does look cool and is pretty quiet compared to my stock soft top. Also cost more e

five5select

I have this style from ORH, currently on my Jeep. The quality is great, very well built. A pain in the rear to take off/reinstall. I am now looking to go to the fastback style, Bestop, because I don't want to deal with them (ORH) as a company!

Attachments

• 1442459253911.jpg
    1442459253911.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 201

Ryldup

20150721_114809.jpg

The ORH tops are a pain to install. I like my ORH better than the OEM soft top. It quieter than the stock soft top and definitely looks different than every other Jeep with a stock soft top. Didn't take me that long to put on, with no instructions. Comes off fairly easy, other than to just roll back the top and back. Got mine off Craigslist for $250. The guy had the other ORH top as well, should've bought it at the same time. Just my 2 cents on it.

xflstl

I've had the ORH combo top for about 3 years. I completely love it.... If you do what I did which is call orh and place an order only when he has a top ready to ship you should do ok.... It took between 3-5 weeks for me to get mine, and 90% of that was how slow Canadian mail is..

Attachments

• 1444269403751.jpg
    1444269403751.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 163

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I've had the ORH combo top for about 3 years. I completely love it.... If you do what I did which is call orh and place an order only when he has a top ready to ship you should do ok.... It took between 3-5 weeks for me to get mine, and 90% of that was how slow Canadian mail is..

That does look badass with the half doors!

five5select

Already have the ORH multi top, ordered the Fastback portion of the top today to change the look up a bit. He told me 5-6 weeks so we'll see how accurate it is.

Mattk11

Absolutely great soft top. I read everything about how slow they are, that they is no communication etc. I ordered knowing full well it would be 90 days to get my top. That is exactly how long it took. Best quality, easiest to put on and take off. No leaks, no bows, no rattles or buffering.

I drove an hour in a friend's Jeep that had the NX top and it was horrible. Rattling, noise etc it was so loud we couldn't talk to each other. He has since ordered an ORH and another friend did the same. Both knew going in that they wouldn't get them until this winter and wouldn't use them until next summer.

Maybe took an hour to put it on the first year but that was because the instructions were vague. Now it takes a little over a half hour. Once it is installed I can store all the panels inside the jeep under the back seat while topless and if it rains can get the top back on in about 4-5 mins. Very simple if you are a grown man. My wife would have trouble.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No worries. Here is another huge red flag for me. When your company has pissed so many people off that you have to change the company's name to try to hide from people (e.g. ORH website is now called California tops), there is something going on that deserves further investigation.

This ^^^^

Back in the day, I asked this guy for a physical address in New York where he claimed to be and he wouldn't give it to me. I mean, what kind of legit business would do that. For all you guys who would give a shady company like this your money and then wait 3 MONTHS to get something you paid for are just nuts! But hey, that's just me.

Lance628

I looked into these awhile back because I thought It's a great looking top but this guy is just to sketchy for me and waiting months just wasn't going to work for me

Ryldup

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1445102766.184273.jpg
Not that bad to install. I did it with no directions and by myself. Not as easy as the stock soft top. I don't think it's as bad as some people have said.

Top Bottom