Newb question about tire sizes and lifts.

Nengrana

So I was all on board for getting a 2.5" teraflex budget boost and some 33s but I think I would regret it after and wonder why in the hell I didnt get 35s. I starting looking at lift kits and found Teraflex's to be more expensive. Is it a quality thing or because its a more comprehensive kit or both?

Secondly, I read a lot of people who run the 2.5", go with 35s, and then dont say how much its effected their mpg, drive, power etc. I read it can be more detrimental to your Jeeps parts if you dont re gear after a certain height but what is safe?

Are 33's with a 2.5" lift enough to clear obstacles that a 35" tire with the same lift could do? Please help. My brain hurts.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Honestly just go 35's. The Mpg's will go out the window and you will not care. The way to get around the mpg loss or at least help minimize it is to regear your axles.

As far as the lift goes almost all budget boosts are the same. They all use the same polyurethane pucks. Where they differ is what come with each lift. From what I have seen the teraflex one is the most complete.

LasVegasJK

If you're concerned about clearing obstacles, then you should just save your money a little longer and buy something better than a budget boost. You don't have to spend $2000 for a lift. But if you buy something because "it's cheaper", you'll soon be shopping for something more. So, it's not really cheaper.
And definitely 35s.

Nengrana

If you're concerned about clearing obstacles, then you should just save your money a little longer and buy something better than a budget boost. You don't have to spend $2000 for a lift. But if you buy something because "it's cheaper", you'll soon be shopping for something more. So, it's not really cheaper.
And definitely 35s.

Any opinions on Mammoth? I found a 3.5 LK of theirs for 500.00 Its my daily driver but I really want to take it out on the weekends with the wife to do moderate off roading/getting around with adequate clearance.

Nengrana

Honestly just go 35's. The Mpg's will go out the window and you will not care. The way to get around the mpg loss or at least help minimize it is to regear your axles.

As far as the lift goes almost all budget boosts are the same. They all use the same polyurethane pucks. Where they differ is what come with each lift. From what I have seen the teraflex one is the most complete.

I am averaging 20-22 mpg. Mostly highway driving to work n back so a small hit wont really kill me. I just want to make sure it wont be to bad till i have the funds to re gear.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I am averaging 20-22 mpg. Mostly highway driving to work n back so a small hit wont really kill me. I just want to make sure it wont be to bad till i have the funds to re gear.

I see you have a 2015. If you regear for 35's j would suggest 4.56 gears. This will keep factory power and help you keep, or close to, factory mpg.

LasVegasJK

I haven't been exposed to any Mammoth products, so I can't give an opinion about them.
However, I have some friends that have installed Rough Country lifts that are happy with their performance. 3.5" lift, I think it's $500-600.
20-22 mpg? What's your secret? I'm lucky to get 17hwy, and 14-15 city. My Jeep is stock except for an EVO leveling kit.

I can vouch for what these guys are saying. If your even considering 35s, just do it. 35s on a 2.5-3" lifts is awesome, and very capable. As far as lift goes, it depends on your budget. A BB is perfectly fine and lots of peeps use the teraflex. If you go a tad bigger, your going to start needing other parts to make it right.

USMC Wrangler

EVO leveling kit that rides better than stock and half the price you're talking about. I'm still on 33's because a regear just isn't in the budget. There are several on here running this with 35's and flat fenders. Just my :twocents:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442453023.363282.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442453039.647863.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442453061.281876.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442453136.872066.jpg

Nengrana

I haven't been exposed to any Mammoth products, so I can't give an opinion about them.
However, I have some friends that have installed Rough Country lifts that are happy with their performance. 3.5" lift, I think it's $500-600.
20-22 mpg? What's your secret? I'm lucky to get 17hwy, and 14-15 city. My Jeep is stock except for an EVO leveling kit.

Hehe well Im just keeping my speed @ 60- 65 and making sure the little eco light is on as much as possible. I try my best at economy driving. Surely that will change when I start hitting trails. Yea I did see some RC lifts too! Ill be sure to check those out =)

Nengrana

I can vouch for what these guys are saying. If your even considering 35s, just do it. 35s on a 2.5-3" lifts is awesome, and very capable. As far as lift goes, it depends on your budget. A BB is perfectly fine and lots of peeps use the teraflex. If you go a tad bigger, your going to start needing other parts to make it right.

Thanks! These websites selling lifts are saying a 2.5 BB max tire clearance is a 33 so its good to hear you say 35s are possible.

Nengrana

ooh

EVO leveling kit that rides better than stock and half the price you're talking about. I'm still on 33's because a regear just isn't in the budget. There are several on here running this with 35's and flat fenders. Just my :twocents:

I havent even looked at an EVO leveling kit. Ill check that out soon. Thanks for the advice and thank you for your service!

Thanks! These websites selling lifts are saying a 2.5 BB max tire clearance is a 33 so its good to hear you say 35s are possible.

Mr Ty is running 35s on a BB. Maybe he will chime in again. Its definately doable. If anything, you may rub fenders a bit but you can always trim those. Free flat fenders is the way to go.

ITLL GO

Looks clean! How did the larger tires change the feel of your ride?

It changed quite a lot IMO. Can't text and drive anymore haha. I have the stock 4.10 so not bad but did change my grunt acceleration and MPG. I love it and if I change anything, it would to get 37's lol

KYRubi

Be careful going with 33's. I only had my 1.5" leveling kit and 33's for a few weeks before I replaced it with a 2.5" lift and 35's. If you also go with trimmed or flat fenders, you have a lot of room for flex with a 2.5" and 35" tires without getting into huge expense.

This is a 2 door, but it is a 2.5" TF lift with 35" tires and fenders that give about an extra 3" of clearance.

Nengrana

Be careful going with 33's. I only had my 1.5" leveling kit and 33's for a few weeks before I replaced it with a 2.5" lift and 35's. If you also go with trimmed or flat fenders, you have a lot of room for flex with a 2.5" and 35" tires without getting into huge expense.

This is a 2 door, but it is a 2.5" TF lift with 35" tires and fenders that give about an extra 3" of clearance.

Very nice! Thank you

KYRubi

To address your other questions...

35's with stock gearing will leave you wanting. It depends on what motor and transmission you have. Also, which front differential you have will make a difference for your choice in gears. For example, I have a 2011 JKR with a 3.8 and 42RLE transmission and sleeved and gusseted D44 up front. I went with 5.13's since I knew I would be going to 37's at some point (Jeep is actually at the shop right now after a year on 35's getting 37's and other goodies installed). If I was going to stick with the 35's, I would have considered 4.88's for slightly more strength since they would have been fine for that size. I have a friend with a 2013 JKU with the 3.6, new auto transmission, and D30 front end with 3.73's and the same Trail Grappler 35's. The setup is OK, but just barely. 4.56's would definitely be better in his situation. He does not take that Jeep on the trails.

Also, going with bigger, heavier tires absolutely will affect your mpg negatively. You will probably lose a few mpg by going to 35" tires.

As far as 33's vs 35's, you will get about 1" more clearance for obstacles.

Last edited:

Nengrana

To address your other questions...

35's with stock gearing will leave you wanting. It depends on what motor and transmission you have. Also, which front differential you have will make a difference for your choice in gears. For example, I have a 2011 JKR with a 3.8 and 42RLE transmission and sleeved and gusseted D44 up front. I went with 5.13's since I knew I would be going to 37's at some point (Jeep is actually at the shop right now after a year on 35's getting 37's and other goodies installed). If I was going to stick with the 35's, I would have considered 4.88's for slightly more strength since they would have been fine for that size. I have a friend with a 2013 JKU with the 3.6, new auto transmission, and D30 front end with 3.73's and the same Trail Grappler 35's. The setup is OK, but just barely. 4.56's would definitely be better in his situation. He does not take that Jeep on the trails.

Also, going with bigger, heavier tires absolutely will affect your mpg negatively. You will probably lose a few mpg by going to 35" tires.

As far as 33's vs 35's, you will get about 1" more clearance for obstacles.

Any thoughts on tuners/programmers? Im reading people getting real close to their original mpg and power with those. Going to be doing a lot of traveling so 35s will be the max I go with. I also have the new 3.6. 2015 JKUS

Top Bottom