JK bolt in roll cage

mtudb24

I've seen all the threads about bolt in vs weld in cages and which is best etc. Im looking for opinions on either Rock Hard or Smittybilt cages. I like Rock hard but it takes a lot of time to paint and or finish the bare metal cages. Anyone ever install a Smittybilt bolt in cage? I am in no way a hard core "Rock crawling" wheeler. I hit sand, mud, and trail ride here in Michigan. Just looking for some more protection. I won't be climbing vertical rocks and rolling multiple times end over end or on its side. MY biggest fear is getting hit on the pavement fom some jackass who runs a red light.

Way of life had a good install of Rock Hard. Wondering if the smittybilt goes in with ths same "ease" and I don' have to worry about taking the time to pain the cage
Thanks
Todd

Attachments

• 2012-12-03_19-37-58_229.jpg
    2012-12-03_19-37-58_229.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 275

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Never seen a smittybilt judging by everything else they build. go with a rockhard

Rockhard = USA
Smittybilt = take a guess

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While I have not installed a Smittybilt, I have seen it in person and honestly, I don't think it would go in any easier than anything else out there. They're all kind of a pain but, I think the Rock Hard is the easiest. The painting thing is a pain but only because you would have to do it. If you can find a shop that sends stuff out to get powder coated, you can probably have your cage gang run with one of their orders. I've done this and it's a lot cheaper to do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never seen a smittybilt judging by everything else they build. go with a rockhard

Rockhard = USA
Smittybilt = take a guess

LOL!! I was trying not to color it more than needed but, I'd have to agree. Smittybilt is often better known as "shittybilt" and for a reason.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
A sport cage is something I would not want to half ass and cut the budget on by buying something like the Smittybuilt. Just get what people know works. Rock Hard, Or Fab, PSC are good choices. I'd probably say in that order.

mtudb24

Thanks for the comments. I have smittybilt rock sliders (they went on without a hitch over the factory rubicon rails).
I'll probably go wih rock hard but since I had no issue with smitybilt rock rails, I thought I'd mention them as they say no drilling required unlike Rock Hard.
Thanks again for the advice
Todd

highoctane

Caught the Bug
mtudb24 said:
Thanks for the comments. I have smittybilt rock sliders (they went on without a hitch over the factory rubicon rails).
I'll probably go wih rock hard but since I had no issue with smitybilt rock rails, I thought I'd mention them as they say no drilling required unlike Rock Hard.
Thanks again for the advice
Todd

I'd like to see how they managed a sport cage with no drilling. The drilling of extra holes for tie in from the frame/body to the cage is what gives cages like the rock hard, or fab, and extra strength.

georgesadlik

We just got our Rock Hard 4X4 Sports Cage back from powdercoating ready to install into our 2012 JKU Crush. So far it looks the goods. After watching WOL's install and searching the web, I'd say take your time with the install. I've test fit some of the bits and it's going to be a fun install, but i think it's quite do-able. Our powdercoating set me back 60 for the sandblasting, and 80 per colour. That's Australian dollars but we're about the same dollar for dollar at the moment so it's quite relative. My money is on the Rockhard. Good luck with your choice :thumb:

Cheers George

RH4X404.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
georgesadlik said:
We just got our Rock Hard 4X4 Sports Cage back from powdercoating ready to install into our 2012 JKU Crush. So far it looks the goods. After watching WOL's install and searching the web, I'd say take your time with the install. I've test fit some of the bits and it's going to be a fun install, but i think it's quite do-able. Our powdercoating set me back 60 for the sandblasting, and 80 per colour. That's Australian dollars but we're about the same dollar for dollar at the moment so it's quite relative. My money is on the Rockhard. Good luck with your choice :thumb:

Cheers George

Looks good! I went color matched too except the lower bar which is flat black. The install is fairly simple. Just take your time. :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
out of curiosity, what is the average install time for a bolt on?

The Rock Hard goes in the fastest. I can get the whole thing installed in about 4 hours. The OR-FAB takes a lot longer. I have not installed a PS cage but have heard it's even longer still.

daveroberts

The Rock Hard goes in the fastest. I can get the whole thing installed in about 4 hours. The OR-FAB takes a lot longer. I have not installed a PS cage but have heard it's even longer still.

You better have the whole day and then some to do the PSC cage!

Top Bottom