Rear trackbar angle?

tharb5111

Just noticed my rear axle mounted track bar bracket has a lower hole and upper hole I could have bolted my trackbar into. Each hole is one inch apart. My trackbar is bolted into the lower hole and gives my rear trackbar an angled slope. If I move it to the top hole it nearly levels out my rear trackbar.

When I installed the lift I just assumed to use the lower hole since it was nearest to the stock position.

What would moving the rear trackbar bolt location up to the top hole, nearly leveling the trackbar do to handling?

I assume it would raise roll center and lessen torque stear and rear end shift over uneven surfaces but make roll center higher and jeep more tippy?

I'm thinking of running a lap over dirt trails and farm roads with it in each position and see how it impacts handling just for fun.

Anyone know if the closer to level the rear track bar the better? Or should my rear trackbar remain angled slightly?

JKbrick

I would see what angle one is stock and put it closer to that. If you lifted your Jeep I would raise the track bar.

The track bar has no bearing on roll center as a whole. The track bar is just centering your axle so lifting the jeep uncenters it. Your axle will be further to one side, improving your roll center in one direction, and making it worse in the other. I wouldnt shoot to make it level, i would shoot to return the geometry to stock.

rsmwrangler

I have a Rubicon express 2.5" lift with the Teraflex 2.5-3" rear bracket, I had the same questions, and the guys who did the install told me the 2nd hole will center the axel better compared to the 1st one, the alignment machine also showed the same thing, so I have mine at the top hole (my bracket only have 2 holes), this is with the factory rear track bar

tharb5111

I have a Rubicon express 2.5" lift with the Teraflex 2.5-3" rear bracket, I had the same questions, and the guys who did the install told me the 2nd hole will center the axel better compared to the 1st one, the alignment machine also showed the same thing, so I have mine at the top hole (my bracket only have 2 holes)

Great thank you. I switched it to the top hole and there is a subtle handling change. Less body roll in turns and more stable over uneven roads. Roll center in the rear has definitely changed. I like it tuned this way for sure. Glad for your confirmation. Thanks.

tharb5111

Was worried I may have exhaust trackbar interference with it in top location so I took it off-road and worked it out. Jeep felt more planted. Seems second hole raised roll center nearer to center of gravity of the jeep in its lifted stance. Less body roll, but this may also mean less lateral traction. I didn't notice this going trail speed though. And the best part...No Trackbar exhaust interference.

Attachments

• 1442714485576.jpg
    1442714485576.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1442714498053.jpg
    1442714498053.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 78
Top Bottom