CB Radio

atjakream

Anyone have recommendations for a CB? I won't be using it often and would prefer it to be on the cheaper side. I just need it for when I'm wheeling with my friends.

chipper

Anyone have recommendations for a CB? I won't be using it often and would prefer it to be on the cheaper side. I just need it for when I'm wheeling with my friends.

I guess it depends on if you are planning on hard mounting one or not. A small Uniden 505 , 510, or 520 and nice and inexpensive but then you need coax antenna, mount... I have a few friends the just use a handheld like a midland 75. Works fine, not the best but it works.

GR8WHITE

+1 for uniden. I have the 520? I think and it works good. It's small, cheap, and doesn't take up a lot of space.

Last edited:

Strider

I permanently mounted my antenna base to the third brake light and mounted a Cobra 19 to an old cup that fits in the center cup holder. I can remove the CB anytime and even use it in another car when needed. PICT0717.jpg PICT0718.jpg

epetry

I have a cobra 75 wx st. Works great and is very small. I also used the versa mount 2 from cool tech and it also works great and are both ver easy to install. I use a firesick antenna.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442760964.550981.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442761086.983739.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442761112.216091.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442761189.909482.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442761286.902360.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Doesn't much love on here, but the midland 75 is a great compact option. You can run it as completely portable, or run through coax and an antenna mounted on the jeep.

USMC Wrangler

Doesn't much love on here, but the midland 75 is a great compact option. You can run it as completely portable, or run through coax and an antenna mounted on the jeep.

This is what I have. It's nice to disconnect and at least get out of sight when naked. It has worked great for me so far.

BDSJEEP

How do you set up swr meter with Cobra 75?

From a working installed radio...

Coming from the antenna - unplug coax from the 'remote box' of the Cobra 75 (if already connected) and reconnect to back of SWR meter marked "Antenna".

Take the 3' patch cord coax ( that hopefully came with your swr meter) and screw one end into Cobra 75's 'remote box' and the other end into SWR meter marked "Radio"

Test and adjust SWR, and replace coax connections.

swr4.gif

Last edited:

BDSJEEP

This is what I have. It's nice to disconnect and at least get out of sight when naked. It has worked great for me so far.

I Use the Midland 75-822 as well. Awesome little CB! When setup with coax and antenna like any other radio, it performs.....like any other radio.

You'd have to ask some of the other Wayalife NorCal crew how my Midland sounds in the real world....that part I couldn't tell ya.

NV375

I have had good luck with the Uniden 510. It is simple but effective for a basic radio. Since I have plans for a cage I have not mounted it in this jeep but have Velcro on it and stick it between the passenger seat and console. External speaker is good to have with most radios but not required. Your antenna (mostly installation) is what makes the biggest difference in how your setup works.

Top Bottom