Black bear discovery center CA question

mastrcruse

Big bear discovery center CA question

I'll be flying into LA and speaking at a conference in late October. I was thinking about bringing the wife and going to big bear to get the 3 badge of honors and see some CA wheeling.

I've looked for some jeep rental companies but they all seem to want to do each of the 3 (Holcomb creek, gold mountain, John Bull) on different $500 per day guides. Anyone know of a rental place like the ones in ouray/telluride that just rent the jeep and allow me to go about wherever? There is a company that I believe will do 2 of the trails but not all 3 so that might be the closest I can get. Any tips about the wheeling at Big Bear and CA in late October.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
:cheesy::cheesy:

It's a sad state when we worry so much about the civilian bear population. But nobody stands up for Smokey, I mean, that bear is single handily saving forests, and protecting the lives of so many.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

It's a sad state when we worry so much about the civilian bear population. But nobody stands up for Smokey, I mean, that bear is single handily saving forests, and protecting the lives of so many.

Lol.........

Sithwindu

Lol well played sir

mastrcruse

I guess I'll be making this trip another time. A time when I can get my jeep there. Your guide wants $1200 to do all 3 badge of honor trails, which seems a bit steep. People probably pay it, which is great for him, but I'd rather not pay $100 an hour. Others have said look into renting a jeep at a car rental company because this is the only one I can find that does jeep rentals

JAGS

Hooked
I guess I'll be making this trip another time. A time when I can get my jeep there. Your guide wants $1200 to do all 3 badge of honor trails, which seems a bit steep. People probably pay it, which is great for him, but I'd rather not pay $100 an hour. Others have said look into renting a jeep at a car rental company because this is the only one I can find that does jeep rentals

Shit, if I was available, I'd take you out there for $500. For $750 and a lunch I could get a couple of us to tour you around.

What's crazy is I didn't realize there were even tour options for big bear. When you say "your guide" I don't think you are referring to a wayalife guide??? Eddie is the only tour guide on staff and he charges $10 per hr flat rate. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji6]

mastrcruse

Shit, if I was available, I'd take you out there for $500. For $750 and a lunch I could get a couple of us to tour you around.

What's crazy is I didn't realize there were even tour options for big bear. When you say "your guide" I don't think you are referring to a wayalife guide??? Eddie is the only tour guide on staff and he charges $10 per hr flat rate. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji6]

Lol...I'd pay $500 no problem. There is a jeep tour guide that I found. Only one it seems. He goes first and you follow him in another one of his jeeps. I was thinking he'd say $700 which I would have been fine with for having 2 jeeps and shutting down his entire day to do the trails with us exclusively. When he said $1200 I gasped a little. He advertises $550 on his website but that is only for Gold Mountain and about 4 hours of trails.

I think it's awesome if he can get that kind of cash for what he does but I could probably get my jeep shipped there and back for about the same.

Top Bottom