Painting soft doors?

JEJ0308

I've searched high and low, and haven't really found the answers I'm looking for. I love the look of the matching color factory style half doors, but let's be real, that's not a cheap option. So here's my question: can you get something like the Bestop 2-piece soft doors, and paint them with duplicolor or something like that?
I really just want the bottom halves to somewhat match the rest of the jeep. I have found some examples of this type of paint job, very few tho.
I guess my biggest question is, since those doors pretty much only come in black, would white duplicolor vinyl paint even work on them?
I know they'd have a different look than the actual body paint, but I'm just not crazy about the contrast of a white jeep with completely black doors. I don't hate it, but the matching bottom halves just look sweet in my opinion.

TL;DR - I want white soft half doors for my jkur!

GCM 2

No other way to say it. Spray painting any type of fabric, cloth, or rubberized material will always give you results that look like ass

JEJ0308

What about the Bestop steel enclosure kit? I assume those can be painted and they would be more manageable than the factory style half doors. Ideally I would like to have them for the beach and other weekend stuff where i can throw them in the back or bag em up and strap them onto a roof rack when I'm not using them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No other way to say it. Spray painting any type of fabric, cloth, or rubberized material will always give you results that look like ass

:cheesy: And you know this how? ;) :crazyeyes: :D

What about the Bestop steel enclosure kit? I assume those can be painted and they would be more manageable than the factory style half doors. Ideally I would like to have them for the beach and other weekend stuff where i can throw them in the back or bag em up and strap them onto a roof rack when I'm not using them.

That would be the way to go. I have seen plenty of color matched Bestop door kits and they look really good. Better than having doors that look like ass :D

GCM 2

I know there are guys on here that have the steel skins, maybe they will chime in. However, I do have experience dealing with them on the JK below. The fit is actually pretty good, their cost is a bunch cheaper than factory half doors and they are easily paintable. But, these things are pretty darn noisy and do rattle a lot. Its not that big a deal while we are in the race car with helmets and straight exhaust exiting behind our seats, but I think in a daily driver it would definitely drive me nuts.

IMG_1631.jpg

The other alternative are what I, MTG (poster above) and Wayalife did for our rigs was to purchase Rugged Ridge half doors. Not as cheap as Bestop, but still cheaper than factory half doors. They are plastic are completely paintable, very quiet, much lighter weight than the factory halves and the bestop with steel skins.

IMG_1566.jpg

Last edited:

JEJ0308

Those look sweet! I did look at the Rugged Ridge doors, but for the price I think I'd rather spring for the OEMs, plus the Bestops seem to be more manageable when it comes to taking on and off, and storing in/on the vehicle somewhere. This is just speculation tho seeing as I have neither at the moment.

I got the bestop doors as well. I wrapped some PVC tape around the tubes and that killed any rattling for me. I have to admit that I don't like the top line of the door skin as much as I like the OEM, savvy or strike force zebras.

Attachments

• WIN_20150920_093509.jpg
    WIN_20150920_093509.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom