PAPPY : 1954 Willys CJ3B

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Soon after learning that our son Andrew was planning to move back west, Cindy and I decided that a great way to celebrate his homecoming was to give him our old 1997 Jeep XJ Cherokee. Of course, that would leave us with an open stable and so for a while now, we had been looking for a new Jeep to help fill in the void. Being that we had just adopted Emma, our 1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando C101, we felt that maybe it was time to get what we've always wanted, something a bit older and that would be a Willys! After looking far and near for about a month or so and coming up empty handed, we finally found Pappy - a 1954 Willys CJ3B. Here are a few photos of what he looks like and we hope that you will welcome here on WAYALIFE :cool:

Ironically, we just happened to pass this awesome "high-hood" Willys in a parking lot, in town and just as we were leaving to drive 3 hours to look at an old M38 located in California. Here's a quick shot that we took of it at the lot before heading out.
main.php

After spending the better part of the day driving well into California to look at yet another rusting hunk of junk covered in shiny red paint, we headed back for home and hoped that Pappy was still available for sale. The following morning, we called up the owner, took it for a test drive and brought him home.
main.php

main.php

For those of you who don't know, the CJ3B is a unique Willys in that it has a much higher hood to accommodate the more powerful F-Head Hurricane engine they came with. And, as our good friend Chris likes to say, when it comes to Willys, they're kind of the "ugly stepchild" and in so many ways, it's what Cindy and I have always loved about them. From what I was told, the previous owner had this one for about 12 years and before that, it had been owned for a long time by a guy in Dayton, NV and before that, it had served as a Forest Service vehicle up in Portola, CA. And, while it isn't in perfect condition, Cindy and I were surprised at how clean it is overall and even more so at how well it drives. Here are a few all around exterior shots of what Pappy looked like soon after we brought him home.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here are some shots of the interior.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Being a Forest Service vehicle, this CJ3B even came equipped with a heater for those cold snowy days.
main.php

With the exception of the gas gauge (needs a new sending unit), all the instruments on the dash work perfectly.
main.php

main.php

While the CJ3B's didn't come with turn signals, this one was outfitted with a period piece one made by Napa.
main.php

View from the driver side.
main.php

main.php

Shot from the rear looking in.
main.php

main.php

The floor pans do have a couple of holes but nothing worse than what one could expect of a 61 year old Jeep and not nearly as bad as what I have seen.
main.php

main.php

Passenger side floor pan drain hole.
main.php

Check out the cool embossed "Jeep" on the side of the tool box.
main.php

A little rusty inside but amazingly, there's still a floor. Most Willys will have a big open hole looking at the ground here.
main.php

Although this Willys came with a soft top and soft doors, it was full of holes and basically useless.
main.php

main.php

With the exception of the floor pans and this tiny bit of rust on the tub, Pappy was for the most part cancer free.
main.php

Shots of the factory wheels.
main.php

main.php

International Harvester manual locking hubs.
main.php

While these tiny street tires are tubeless in design, they are still being held up by inner tubes inside.
main.php

A few shots under the hood.
main.php

main.php

main.php

A few fun close up shots.
main.php

main.php

A couple more shots of the back with the sun on it.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that Pappy is so close in color to Rubicat, we thought we would take a few father and son shots.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here's a couple of shots just to give you some scale of things. This shows just how much taller Rubicat is than Pappy.
main.php

This shows just how much longer Rubicat is than Pappy.
main.php

And finally, here are a few shots of what Pappy looked like right after removing the soft top.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like Rusty and Emma, our hope is to keep Pappy as factory as possible and to that end, we decided the aftermarket roll bar needed to go. And, here are a few shots of what he looks like now.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

And finally, here are a few shots that we of Pappy up the street and in the hills.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Oh - and as a bonus, we were surprised to find that even the dash light still works :cool:
main.php

I hope you enjoyed the pics of Pappy :cool:

JeepJeep75

Those old jeeps have so much personality. I love the dent in the hood above the left head light. It gives Pappy that unique look like your favorite old grandpa with the crooked eyebrow. Nice addition to your family. [emoji106]

For being 61 years old....it is in GREAT shape!!!! And even the ashtray is intact! Great find. Glad to see your son is close by! Family, its what its all about...... Congrats on both!!!!!

HoosierWolf

Love it! Reminds me of the yellow forest service truck I almost bought 2 years ago. I think it was an M37. I wasn't even sure it ran but I texted a pic of it to my wife and she told me to buy it.

Sometimes you really should listen to your wife.

Ddays

Hooked
Man! So jealous of the climate you have out West. If that Jeep was in the rust belt where I live it would have been junk a long long time ago.

Top Bottom